5 Gal 6 Gal

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fish1onthefly

Reaction score
I have several carboys..all 5 gallon. I am just etting back into wine making and bought my first kit and they call for a 6 gallon.
I don't want to lose the last gallon..or is it just best to leave the settled stuff behind in the primary and work with the 5 gallons? Or should I get a 6 gallon carboy and rack as much as I can?

I would get a 6 gallon carboy especially if you plan on doing any more kits. If you dont think your going to do more kits then get a 1 gallon (4 liter jug) and use them both. You need to rack over most of the sedimnt on some kits as the fining agents require the lees to work.

wade said:
I would get a 6 gallon carboy especially if you plan on doing any more kits. If you dont think your going to do more kits then get a 1 gallon (4 liter jug) and use them both. You need to rack over most of the sedimnt on some kits as the fining agents require the lees to work.
And most kits call for topping up at some point

Spring for 2 6 gallon carboys. You'll never wish yourself back. (You should have 2 for racking. Next thing you know, you'll need a 3rd and a 4th!)

Latest posts

Back