2nd Annual M.A.N.E. Event

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They have good stuff. I have been to a handful of VA vineyards (Barboursville, Horton, Keswick.) and really enjoyed them...

Surprised you didn't list any N. Virginia wineries. They are much closer to you. We belong to Pearmund and Effingham probably our favorites as well as Vint Hill, Bull Run and Chrysalis.

I actually haven't spent any time at NoVa wineries - although we're there fairly often to visit friends in Montclair. I belong to Pippin Hill.

A friend booked a car for a wine tour in Charlottesville last fall, and we did tastings. We rented a house, which was nice. We could do something like that.

I'm also up for heading to the fingerlakes.

As of now it appears to me the general consences is Split Rock again, atleast for next year. Although there could be some super wonderful event that pops up in the meantime. What I am finding most interesting about this thread is the interest in other smaller events. Not necessarily for the M.A.N.E. Event but for smaller meet-ups.

I was looking for wine bottles and ran across this site. 102 cases of the antique green bordeaux bottles comes to $9.06 a case or $0.76 per bottle with shipping. Does anyone want to go in on this. AJ and Paul I can bring them when I bring the barrels.

https://www.burchbottle.com/products/Wine-Bottles_2_74_style.htm

I was looking for wine bottles and ran across this site. 102 cases of the antique green bordeaux bottles comes to $9.06 a case or $0.76 per bottle with shipping. Does anyone want to go in on this. AJ and Paul I can bring them when I bring the barrels.

This is one inventory item I'm good on. But thanks for considering.

When the barrels come in we should meet someplace that is more convenient for you, since you are putting in all the effort. I'm willing to meet someplace in maryland as long as the place has authentic crab cakes and maryland crab soup.

Also for the barrels, do you need money ahead of pickup or meet?

I already paid for the barrels so when we meet is good. As far as the bottles go 52 cases is the minimum for the bulk price but the shipping is the same for 52 or 102 cases making 52 cases not as economical. I can still get case locally for $10-$11. Come fall I'll need around 15 cases but wouldn't mind having 20 or so spares. Not sure how far AJ is from Baltimore, we could do crabs there. I like your thinking. BTW the barrels are on the ocean somewhere.

If you went with the olive green you'd knock $0.50 per case off. Either color sign me up for 10 cases, that may increase if it has to for you to meet your minimums, depending on when you are going to order them. I need ~ 25 cases to bottle what I have aged in carboys already, but I've already got a few cases on hand (but would rather not clean bottles if I don't have to, it's becoming a cottage industry in our house).

I already paid for the barrels so when we meet is good. As far as the bottles go 52 cases is the minimum for the bulk price but the shipping is the same for 52 or 102 cases making 52 cases not as economical. I can still get case locally for $10-$11. Come fall I'll need around 15 cases but wouldn't mind having 20 or so spares. Not sure how far AJ is from Baltimore, we could do crabs there. I like your thinking. BTW the barrels are on the ocean somewhere.

Yeah man, I dig the Baltimore idea.
For the bottles- if you made the order then I would get 10 cases. But I gotta be honest that sounds like a huge pain in the ass for you only to save a buck a case.
Regarding the barrels—-refresh my memory. What’s still available and how much were they again?
I may be interested in a 2nd barrel depending on what I find in the 13gal-15gal range. Still weighing options. But I’ll have (x3) 20gal grape batches by September all ready for barrels.
Still unsure what to do. The world of barrels is new territory me. With lots of long term planning to keep em filled till neutral.

Yeah man, I dig the Baltimore idea.
For the bottles- if you made the order then I would get 10 cases. But I gotta be honest that sounds like a huge pain in the ass for you only to save a buck a case.
Regarding the barrels—-refresh my memory. What’s still available and how much were they again?
I may be interested in a 2nd barrel depending on what I find in the 13gal-15gal range. Still weighing options. But I’ll have (x3) 20gal grape batches by September all ready for barrels.
Still unsure what to do. The world of barrels is new territory me. With lots of long term planning to keep em filled till neutral.

After looking back it looks like they charged me a little less for the barrels then originally quoted. So with shipping 25 liter $182.50 and 30 liter $192.50. I think there are 2 of each left but I'm considering taking one more since my first barrel is now neutral. To me keeping the smaller barrels filled is easier but I don't plan on making batches that large.

For the bottles I just don't know what the bottom line cost is for others and thought this could help.

For the bottles I just don't know what the bottom line cost is for others and thought this could help.

I was just thinking about you having to lug around 50-100 cases of bottles. Unloading- loading- taking up space- then loading for separate drop-offs. And I’m already getting them for $10 and change. But if your cool then I’m cool.
Fred, you go above and beyond my friend. And It is fully appreciated.

I was just thinking about you having to lug around 50-100 cases of bottles. Unloading- loading- taking up space- then loading for separate drop-offs. And I’m already getting them for $10 and change. But if your cool then I’m cool.

Thank you AJ, I'm fortunate enough to have a forklift and pallet racks. So unloading and storing is no problem. I will probably pass on the bulk bottles though.

He absolutely does.

Fred, my 2017 premium zin all grape batch hits a year old in 6 weeks. I'll be bottling in August sometime, a bottle or two will have your name on it.

After looking back it looks like they charged me a little less for the barrels then originally quoted. So with shipping 25 liter $182.50 and 30 liter $192.50. I think there are 2 of each left but I'm considering taking one more since my first barrel is now neutral. To me keeping the smaller barrels filled is easier but I don't plan on making batches that large.

Wow. Those prices for Zemplen oak barrels are amazing.
I think finally finding what batch volumes I’m comfortable with. And that’s about 20gal batches for next bunch of seasons. Filling a 15gal demijohn and a carboy. So a 50L barrel (13.2 gal) is ideal. But waiting a year for that and getting a 2nd 8gal now could be the move too. Tons of particulars to account for tho.
The plan is to bottle at least half as full varietals - leaving the rest in bulk to blend down the line with the others. I’m not much of a long term planner- so this new world of barrels is kind of throwing me on tilt.

Wow. Those prices for Zemplen oak barrels are amazing.
I think finally finding what batch volumes I’m comfortable with. And that’s about 20gal batches for next bunch of seasons. Filling a 15gal demijohn and a carboy. So a 50L barrel (13.2 gal) is ideal. But waiting a year for that and getting a 2nd 8gal now could be the move too. Tons of particulars to account for tho.
The plan is to bottle at least half as full varietals - leaving the rest in bulk to blend down the line with the others. I’m not much of a long term planner- so this new world of barrels is kind of throwing me on tilt.

I think because of the surface to volume ratio the smaller barrels go neutral rather quickly if kept filled. This fall I plan on 10 gallon batches and anticipate losing one gallon through evaporation. If I would slightly over oak I'll still have a gallon to blend back so I think 8's will work well for me. It is barrel carboy management but that doesn't bother me.

Just to remind you my minimum count for the dealership pricing is 10 barrels. I can get whatever size I want and can't imagine the 10 gal would be much more then $10 - $15 more then the 8's and 12's or 13's the same increment higher. Unfortunately I think they only ship once a year.

I think because of the surface to volume ratio the smaller barrels go neutral rather quickly if kept filled.

That doesn't make sense to me. I agree that the surface area to volume ratio affects how oaky the wine gets, and how fast it gets oaky, but I don't think it can affect how fast the barrel gets neutral. The oak essence is leached out regardless of how much volume there is.

In other words, the "surface area to surface area ratio" is always 1.0! :)

Paul I think there’s 2 ways to look at it.
The way you’ve already described— wine contact with the oak doesn’t change regardless of size. The oak should not fade at different rates.

And the other — an 8 gal barrel for example. Assuming 1 week per gallon on 1st run— and doubling every subsequent batch.
The barrel would oak 2 batches in 6 months and x3 after 14 months total. 3 batches seems to be the accepted MAX amount of batches a barrel can oak in spite of only going 14 months.
But with a full 53gal barrel — batch #1 at 1year. Batch #2 at 20-24 months. 2 batches and already at 3 year mark and might be oaked out by then.
Obviously it’s understood not all wine needs same amount of oak— and not all barrels give it at same rate.
And even tho it defies logic- the smaller barrels are said to go neutral after about 3 runs—- this is how I understood it to be at least.

Back