29 Bottle Batch

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wiz

Reaction score
Bottled today the 2nd of 5, 30 bottle batches of cab sauv. After bottling I brought them into the kitchen to pressure equalize. I was out in the garage cleaning up and when I came in my wife asked what that loud cracking noise was. I told her that I didn't hear it and that it wasn't me. I looked at the floor and there were a few drops of something wet on the floor. Then I saw a small pillage of wine on the counter. I told her that I thought we had a wine bottle leaker. I started feeling the neck of the bottles to determine if a neck broke from the cork. OK there. Started moving them 1 at a time and came to one that I picked up, leaving the entire bottom of the bottle on the counter, the empty bottle in my hand and an a whole bottle of wine now on the countertop, front of the cabinets and the rest on the floor. Never had that happen before. Wonder why.

I once blew a quarter sized chunck out of the side of a bottle when I corked it. Think it was a bad spot where the bottles banged together. It did not show up when I cleaned the bottles. Probably should of seen the flaw, but didn't notice it. Anyway, bet you had the same kind of problem. Wear safety glasses when bottling, folks. One time is all it takes. Arne.

Never had a bottle go out on me due to pressure. I am not too sure that the pressure in the bottle is ever that great. I use the standard floor corker that squeezes the cork before insertion.

What kind of corker do you use?

Yes, unfortunately from time-to-time stuff happens. Thankfully you weren't cut and hopefully cleanup wasn't to much of a chore. But then you did lose a bottle of wine, now that hurts!
smilie.gif

Latest posts

Back