2022, What are your plans?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi WM81, i want to try the delestage method along with an extended maceration to wring out all I can from our northern Pinot noir. Worried about excessive tannins and looking to make a nice early drinker.

‘’RT

Hi WM81, i want to try the delestage method along with an extended maceration to wring out all I can from our northern Pinot noir. Worried about excessive tannins and looking to make a nice early drinker.
I may be wrong on this, but EM and "early drinker" appear to be opposites. EM is supposed to increase tannin structure, so it's not going to produce an early drinker. If you have enough Pinot Noir, make a couple of batches using different techniques.

My thinking was the EM on mostly skins would extract as much flavour, colour and some tannins but getting off the seeds would eliminate the harsher seed tannins.
I haven’t done before so only a theory so far, advice appreciated.
RT

More grapes!
I finally started the VERY addictive wine making hobby last year. I got about 30 lbs of grapes from my vines which was enough for 2 gallons. I've had fantastic success propagating raspberries, blackberries and some ornamental trees so this year I'll tackle grapes. I have enough bramble fruit and fruit trees for misc wines but I definitely need more grapes.

And Skeeter Pee! I never heard of it until I started hanging out here and that is definitely on the MUST DO list.

And Skeeter Pee! I never heard of it until I started hanging out here and that is definitely on the MUST DO list.
I made 11 gallons of Skeeter Pee last year. I have 1 and a half bottles left. Quite the favorite of family and friends! I am about to start another batch in the next couple of weeks.

Will you have enough Pinot for 3 batches? 1 regular EM, 1 EM w/o seeds, and 1 pressed at 1.000.
Getting more grapes shouldn’t be an issue just money and cellar space. Thank you for suggestion, it gave me pause. I like the idea of running multiple methods in parallel, gets me to my preferred method sooner, or the best method may always be a blend of treatments.
I was looking scale down this year‘s production, but…
Ok so if I up to 400lbs, aim to pull 5 gallons of saiganee and then aim for 3 - 6 gallon test batches. This is getting interesting.

Getting more grapes shouldn’t be an issue just money and cellar space. Thank you for suggestion, it gave me pause. I like the idea of running multiple methods in parallel, gets me to my preferred method sooner, or the best method may always be a blend of treatments.
I was looking scale down this year‘s production, but…
Ok so if I up to 400lbs, aim to pull 5 gallons of saiganee and then aim for 3 - 6 gallon test batches. This is getting interesting.
Rocktop - sounds like my plans. I want to do about 300 lbs and do Saignee - 1/2 rose and 1/2 doubled skins. I want something light and refreshing for summer afternoons on the patio (rose) and then a Pinot Noir that will likely take more than a year to be ready to bottle. Will get the grapes in Sonoma or Mendocino depending on who is selling.

More grapes!
I finally started the VERY addictive wine making hobby last year. I got about 30 lbs of grapes from my vines which was enough for 2 gallons. I've had fantastic success propagating raspberries, blackberries and some ornamental trees so this year I'll tackle grapes. I have enough bramble fruit and fruit trees for misc wines but I definitely need more grapes.

14 cases of skeeter pee last year,,,, and got another 30 gallon fixing to bottle,,,, i officially ran out a few months ago,,,, but in my magic closet their seems to be around 3 cases,,, kinda like the rabbit in the magic top hat, lol
Dawg

14 cases of skeeter pee last year,,,, and got another 30 gallon fixing to bottle,,,, i officially ran out a few months ago,,,, but in my magic closet their seems to be around 3 cases,,, kinda like the rabbit in the magic top hat, lol
Dawg
14 cases!?! I may be going out on a limb here but I'm guessing you're rather fond of it. I was going to start that project in a couple months but now (with your endorsement) I may have to adjust my time frame.

Wow, you've got guts advertising your magic closet! I don't have one...and if I ever did it sank to the bottom of my pond....nothing to see here, move along.

14 cases!?! I may be going out on a limb here but I'm guessing you're rather fond of it. I was going to start that project in a couple months but now (with your endorsement) I may have to adjust my time frame.

Wow, you've got guts advertising your magic closet! I don't have one...and if I ever did it sank to the bottom of my pond....nothing to see here, move along.
i make mine a little different then most, first for every 6 gallons of water i use 1 qt of lemon juice, that allows a good ferment, nutrients, and energizers EC-1118 AND run my SG as high as i can, then after ferment, i add 5 more quart of lemon to the 6 gallon of water, so you end up with a quart of lemon to the gallon water, rack, to clear and degas, when ready to bottle i use a 6.5 carboy first i add K-meta amd a fifth of pure grain alcohol 190 proof, then i rack my skeeter pee into that 6.5 carboy, then i back sweeten to taste, my taste is a SG of 1.040, taste like lemonade but kicks like a mule, ,, both lemon or pineapple hides the alcohol burn, every wine i bottle of every kind i run through that 6.5 carboy, so you have room to back sweeten, EC-1118 WILL go to 18 to 20 ABV, but i add PGA and you'll sleep like a baby, and i don't drink much, sadly i got tons of friends lol.....
Dawg

So, still working on 2021, and for that matter have 30 gallons of 2020 not bottled yet. (This bottle shortage is a pain). But I'm thinking I need to cut production some more, or drink a lot more!. Storage space for 3-4 years of aging wine is a lot.

Easy solution, magnums!

So, still working on 2021, and for that matter have 30 gallons of 2020 not bottled yet. (This bottle shortage is a pain). But I'm thinking I need to cut production some more, or drink a lot more!. Storage space for 3-4 years of aging wine is a lot.

Easy solution, magnums!
um bottle storage, dang i don't like hearing that at all. between new and reused i think i got about 20 cases empty,, after hearing this i better bottle bottle what i got before starting any more whites, shoot i never gave bottles a thought, now that magnum is a slick ideal.
Dawg

where i live their ain't nobody around me that knows about WMT, hehe, now my handle is different on like my handle on my gun forums ect,
so i ain't really brave , it is more like snikey ,,, :i
Dawg

Easy solution, magnums!
www.homebrewohio.com
they seem to have bottles, decent prices and free shipping if over $60 i think,,, just in case you or anyone was to need
Skoal
Dawg

Nah, I'm not at the stage of BUYING bottles. Like I said before, I'm pretty ghetto, so a lot of times I use Polar seltzer bottles!
(oh yeah, with a scrap of paper and tape to identify it! lol!)

I do have some longer term aging to do, I will go glass for those, several years.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back