2022, What are your plans?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i defiantly ain't uppity, and i believe that what's in the bottle is all that counts,
and this hobby/addiction is most enjoyable,, now in my area,, most wines are going to be Boones Farm, TY Swan and Maddog 2020.. also called mogen david wine, my area went wet a year or 2 ago, but so far it is liquor stores,, even our laws are behind,,,beings it is still a felony for me to ship wine to friends,,, but i posted that link in case it might help you or any others,,,
Dawg

Richard may mean that he over indulged while he was putting wine away, and forget where he put it. Then later, when he accidentally discovered it, it was like magic! :p

I can certainly see your interpretation. But I wanted to highlight the heart pounding excitement, edge of your seat adventure, and certainly international intrigue of wine making.

i make mine a little different then most, first for every 6 gallons of water i use 1 qt of lemon juice, that allows a good ferment, nutrients, and energizers EC-1118 AND run my SG as high as i can, then after ferment, i add 5 more quart of lemon to the 6 gallon of water, so you end up with a quart of lemon to the gallon water, rack, to clear and degas, when ready to bottle i use a 6.5 carboy first i add K-meta amd a fifth of pure grain alcohol 190 proof, then i rack my skeeter pee into that 6.5 carboy, then i back sweeten to taste, my taste is a SG of 1.040, taste like lemonade but kicks like a mule, ,, both lemon or pineapple hides the alcohol burn, every wine i bottle of every kind i run through that 6.5 carboy, so you have room to back sweeten, EC-1118 WILL go to 18 to 20 ABV, but i add PGA and you'll sleep like a baby, and i don't drink much, sadly i got tons of friends lol.....
Dawg

Thank you!!! I really appreciate your info!!! My original plan was for a couple months from now, then a couple weeks, and now....THIS WEEK!! I'll stick with the original recipe for my first time to establish a baseline. I've got some Everclear that I use for liqueurs but I'm getting tired of doing that. After a couple years the novelty has finally warn off. Thanks again. You're the man!

www.homebrewohio.com
they seem to have bottles, decent prices and free shipping if over $60 i think,,, just in case you or anyone was to need
Skoal
Dawg

I agree! After a lot of price comparison they are pretty darn good. My orders have been 2nd day Fedex. A lot cheaper than amazon for sure. I hope to visit in person the next time I go to Firelands Winery thats down the road.

At the end of the year when grapes come in I’m going to pretty much just do Zinfandel this year, already got it planned. I will be making 200 gallons of Zinfandel only because that’s the cap that I can legally make.

I made zin last year and it turned out so well that it convinced me to double down on Zinfandel this year.

I made zin last year and it turned out so well that it convinced me to double down on Zinfandel this year.
Have you considered blends? A group of guys I knew got their CA grapes by train, and each had his own recipe, which was typically Zin-based, e.g., 10 boxes Zin, 2 boxes Muscat, 1 box Alicante, etc.

Have you considered blends? A group of guys I knew got their CA grapes by train, and each had his own recipe, which was typically Zin-based, e.g., 10 boxes Zin, 2 boxes Muscat, 1 box Alicante, etc.
I have considered a blend but I tend to prefer single varietal wines, I have access to a really good Zinfandel vineyard with 30 year old vines so I felt that blending it would be a misuse of the grapes.

I will make a blend with my uncle though at his place this year thinking cab franc, merlot and malbec.

I have considered a blend but I tend to prefer single varietal wines, I have access to a really good Zinfandel vineyard with 30 year old vines so I felt that blending it would be a misuse of the grapes.

I will make a blend with my uncle though at his place this year thinking cab franc, merlot and malbec.
do them make good jelly ? LMAO LOL
Dawg

That would be a waste of good wine grapes.
but the
YEAH,, but i could say pass the jelly while i was taking a great pupon
most everybody on here knows i ain't right in the head, ,,
I was just teasing, bet you could not count the vintners ,, that thought what a moron,, :i about me, ;)
Dawg

ain't pomace volcanic dirt that's filled with air pockets ?
Pumice. Close but no cigar!!!

I just looked at the thread title: "2022, What are your plans?". We've strayed farther onto tangents than usual!

I reviewed my post from a month ago, and my plans have not changed. Things are still undecided until we get word what grapes are available.

However ... based upon my results so far with FWK, I have an urge to do some experimentation in that area. If I make 2nd run jelly instead of 2nd run wine ... that leaves a few carboys open. And I'm trying to figure out where a 5 to 8 gallon barrel will fit ... or maybe I should just get another 54 liter ....

😁

Pumice. Close but no cigar!!!

I just looked at the thread title: "2022, What are your plans?". We've strayed farther onto tangents than usual!

I reviewed my post from a month ago, and my plans have not changed. Things are still undecided until we get word what grapes are available.

However ... based upon my results so far with FWK, I have an urge to do some experimentation in that area. If I make 2nd run jelly instead of 2nd run wine ... that leaves a few carboys open. And I'm trying to figure out where a 5 to 8 gallon barrel will fit ... or maybe I should just get another 54 liter ....

😁
yep I'd done caught that. but still missed the spelling. ;)
and yep i gotta start looking at OP AND the date,, lol
Dawg

But it would make great jelly!:p

Serious question -- has anyone made jelly from pomace, adding water and sugar?
I made great blueberry jam from pomace. The fig jam was not as good though the family liked it. At the start of the pandemic I made bread with yeast from a merlot fermentation. Couldn’t get it to work later though.

I made great blueberry jam from pomace. The fig jam was not as good though the family liked it.
I found this reference to pomace jelly:

Pomace Idea – Make Wine Jelly « Winemaking: Wine Trail Traveler

They boiled 1 gallon pomace with 1 quart water, then strained it, using the liquid to make jelly using this recipe:

Wine Trail Traveler

I have a strainer attachment for my KitchenAid mixer that I've never used -- it's used for straining fruit to make sauces. It would take a while, but it would extract a lot more liquid from the boiled pomace.

Pre-boiling, I think I'd remove as many of the seeds as is feasible.

My blueberry pomace was just hand pressed so it was perfect for jam. The fruit had not broken down much so I thought "Why not". Blueberries are too expensive to waste. I did not try with raspberries or blackberries. It appears the writer of the article you linked did not make a second run wine. I may give their jelly recipe a try after a second run.

Latest posts

Back