2020 Fall Wine Plans

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pgentile

Still learning
Reaction score
Big hello to everyone, hope all are doing well during covid. So far been able to bob and weave and avoid the virus here. Haven't been here much and just realized my email address with WMT was ancient. Thought I had resolved this awhile ago but apparently not.

But here we are at another grape buying season. Chilean zinfandel is aging nicely from the spring 2020, tasted via racking a few weeks ago and while young it was very drinkable already.

Will be staying close to home and hitting Proccaci bros here Philadelphia as long as they have grapes. But if not it will be Gino Pintos in South Jersey.

Feeling like some sangiovese and some petite syrah this year.

What is everyone else up to? Going to try and catch up on threads.

Big hello to everyone, hope all are doing well during covid. So far been able to bob and weave and avoid the virus here. Haven't been here much and just realized my email address with WMT was ancient. Thought I had resolved this awhile ago but apparently not.

But here we are at another grape buying season. Chilean zinfandel is aging nicely from the spring 2020, tasted via racking a few weeks ago and while young it was very drinkable already.

Will be staying close to home and hitting Proccaci bros here Philadelphia as long as they have grapes. But if not it will be Gino Pintos in South Jersey.

Hello there! I make mostly Dragon Blood fruit wines (along with some Island Mist kits) so your can probably guess that I like sweet, fruity, quick wines 😅 We were able to pick huckleberries this year so I currently have 6 gallons of DB going made with them, along with a quad berry version. Both should be ready to bottle by Sunday.

Ah. shutdown and downtime must have put a hurtin on your wine supply—- the prodigal son returns! ......in need of more wine! Lol

what’s up man? No random trees or telephone poles falling onto your vehicles lately I hope!
I’ll be at Procacci at some point too. Always doing a Saturday morning pickup. If schedules allow would be great to swap some product. (Tho I am running deathly low over here!)

doing 2 wines this year. Another “Italian” red from Procacci. And a more pricy cab blend. Thinking about going to Keystone instead of Pintos tho. Procacci day I’ll have family helping. Cab crush I’ll be solo likely. And keystone offers C/D and freezing till pickup. I dig that. We’ll see. Still TBD.

Great to hear your Chilean is coming along that well. I do love those grapes. I haven’t tasted mine yet. But they smell great. Especially the Malbec & the rosé. (Broke off about 8gal of juice for it). Got a new barrel from Fred for this Malbec too.
Glad to see you poppin in. Now don’t be such a goddamn stranger ok?

AJ, thanks for the heads up on Keystone C/D/F until pickup, I didn't realize they did that. Might have to make one this fall. I'll have to go to the site and see what they are offering this year.

Hey Paul, good to hear from you again. Not sure but I think congratulations might be in order. My plans are still up in the air. Was originally thinking about making less varietals in larger quantities but can't decide what ones I want to drop. The premium Syrah and Zinfandel you picked up for me a Proccaci in 18 are very nice now so I definitely have to do those again as well as Norton, Tannat and PV.

Ah. shutdown and downtime must have put a hurtin on your wine supply—- the prodigal son returns! ......in need of more wine! Lol

what’s up man? No random trees or telephone poles falling onto your vehicles lately I hope!
I’ll be at Procacci at some point too. Always doing a Saturday morning pickup. If schedules allow would be great to swap some product. (Tho I am running deathly low over here!)

doing 2 wines this year. Another “Italian” red from Procacci. And a more pricy cab blend. Thinking about going to Keystone instead of Pintos tho. Procacci day I’ll have family helping. Cab crush I’ll be solo likely. And keystone offers C/D and freezing till pickup. I dig that. We’ll see. Still TBD.

Great to hear your Chilean is coming along that well. I do love those grapes. I haven’t tasted mine yet. But they smell great. Especially the Malbec & the rosé. (Broke off about 8gal of juice for it). Got a new barrel from Fred for this Malbec too.
Glad to see you poppin in. Now don’t be such a goddamn stranger ok?

Yes it did, we drank most of my supply the past year. Inventory is very low.

One year into a home improvement contracting career, patios, roof decks, horizontal fencing, lumber shortages, bathroom remodels, etc etc etc.

Let me know when your going to Procacci and I'll do my best to be there.

Hey Paul, good to hear from you again. Not sure but I think congratulations might be in order. My plans are still up in the air. Was originally thinking about making less varietals in larger quantities but can't decide what ones I want to drop. The premium Syrah and Zinfandel you picked up for me a Proccaci in 18 are very nice now so I definitely have to do those again as well as Norton, Tannat and PV.

Likewise Fred. Yes Lori and I tied the knot a few weeks back.

Good to hear those 2018 wines are coming along. Time to build my inventory again.

Hello there! I make mostly Dragon Blood fruit wines (along with some Island Mist kits) so your can probably guess that I like sweet, fruity, quick wines 😅 We were able to pick huckleberries this year so I currently have 6 gallons of DB going made with them, along with a quad berry version. Both should be ready to bottle by Sunday.

I've always wanted to make Dragon's Blood wine, one of these days. where to you get huckleberries?

Likewise Fred. Yes Lori and I tied the knot a few weeks back.

Good to hear those 2018 wines are coming along. Time to build my inventory again.
Congratulations to you and Lori!

Maybe we could all send a case of wine as a wedding present and your inventory would be beefed up a bit?

Thank you Craig, that is a brilliant idea!!!
If I go to Keystone I won't be all that far away. I still have some of that brunello you guys devoured at Split Rock, should be even better now!

Or was it a Forza, I can't remember much about that weekend, which is probably good, what happens in Split Rock stays in Split Rock.

Greetings from western Norway!

My fall 2020 plan so far
3 gallons rosehip wine - every year
2 gallons blackberry wine - every year
2 gallons rice and raison wine - first time as an experiment
2 gallons rowanberry wine - first time as an experiment

I also have discovered a crab apple tree near my cabin, considering doing something with that as well.

I just got my notification from S&S Wine Grapes. Theirs don't come in until the 19th But they are having a preseason party on the 12th. On their advertisement it said they were doing an equipment demo so I had to ask what they were going to demo. Their response was a cork screw so bring wine.

I just got my notification from S&S Wine Grapes. Theirs don't come in until the 19th But they are having a preseason party on the 12th. On their advertisement it said they were doing an equipment demo so I had to ask what they were going to demo. Their response was a cork screw so bring wine.

Do you happen to know where their grapes are grown? Curious about the Pinot Noir.

Greetings from western Norway!

My fall 2020 plan so far
3 gallons rosehip wine - every year
2 gallons blackberry wine - every year
2 gallons rice and raison wine - first time as an experiment
2 gallons rowanberry wine - first time as an experiment

I also have discovered a crab apple tree near my cabin, considering doing something with that as well.
Pretty interesting mix, probably reflecting what is available in your part of the country. I tried rosehips once long ago but didn’t turn out too well. Do you mind sharing your recipe?

Back