2020 Plans looking for some help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mac60

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just put my buy list together for 2020 we always make 2 vintages a Zin and a Super Tuscan, we have sourced grapes from Lanza and LMP in Suisun Valley AVA, for the past 4 seasons we have gone to Gino Pintos in NJ quality has been good. I was thinking about changing to a different AVA such as Sierra Foothills AVA (Amador Gold Label) or Paso Robles AVA. How does the quality compare to Suisun Valley AVA? Any imput or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Question 2, What do you prefer PV or PS for the 5% flavor & Color grape
Thank again
Mike,

This is our Zin blend (1440 LBS)
Zinfandel Lanza77.50%
Syrah Lanza15.00%
Petit Verdot LMP or Petite Sirah5.00%
Muscat Alexandria: Valley Beauty2.50%

This is our Super Tuscan Blend (1300 LBS)
Cabernet Sauvignon Lanza27.78%
Sangiovese Brunello Lanza (Napa)50.00%
Syrah Lanza16.67%
Petit Verdot L.M.P/Petite Sirah5.56%

"Sierra Foothills" covers a lot of ground, some of it regular central valley stuff, and some of it premium foothill grapes. I think it goes from Yuba county up north to Mariposa on the way to Yosemite in the south, so just about anything will be there. There is some great wine being made in the Sierra Foothills, so it comes down to the grape quality you can get. I'm partial to Amador County since it's so close to me.

https://www.corkerywine.com/blogs/d...now-a-wine-region-sierra-foothills-california
Suisun valley is a much smaller area and basically across the freeway from southern Napa and Sonoma. It's going to have a more coastal climate. I have no experience with which is better quality, but Suisun valley has a great reputation and if you've been happy in the past, I would keep doing the same. The smaller AVAs in the "Sierra Foothill" region like Fiddletown or ElDorado would be interesting, but I don't know how much control you'll have over what you get. I think all the wine I make this year will be "Sierra Foothills" depending on exactly where the "Clos du Lac" Vineyard is, and one of the wines I am making is from between Auburn and Grass Valley which is clearly included in "Sierra Foothills".

Good luck with 2020 regardless.

Been reading a lot of old threads here as Im currently trying to figure out the exact same thing. Making 2 similar wines too.
a zin/muscat blend (Lodi) . And a cab blend.(?)

Pintos
I’ve heard nothing but good things about both Lanza and LMP. Especially the clone 169 cab. So if it ain’t broke....
Amador Gold, from what I’ve read on here, seems to be a safe bet too without breaking the bank. Pintos has the highly regarded limited supply Koch ranch cab too.

I made the Paso cab (clone #8) in ‘18 and was much lighter than I would have liked. I wouldn’t get it again. personally if I go with Pintos then I’m doing Lanza or Koch cab.

keystone (potential option for you?)
I’m also close to another supplier in Montgomeryville PA Keystone HomeBrew. Not posted online yet but they’ll have Wash St grapes & Red Hill Lake County Cab. (Spoke today) Apparently it’s their top shelf. It’s pricey. I feel guilty. But..ya know.. not enough to not get it lol
the red hill lake county cab isn’t carried by many and I kinda like that aspect. Keystone will post remainder of their grapes this week

I love this but also hate it since it’s a total guessing game.
**Interested in that PS/PV question. Using PV to boost just b/c it seems like the go-to.

Last edited:
I just put my buy list together for 2020 we always make 2 vintages a Zin and a Super Tuscan, we have sourced grapes from Lanza and LMP in Suisun Valley AVA, for the past 4 seasons we have gone to Gino Pintos in NJ quality has been good. I was thinking about changing to a different AVA such as Sierra Foothills AVA (Amador Gold Label) or Paso Robles AVA. How does the quality compare to Suisun Valley AVA? Any imput or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Question 2, What do you prefer PV or PS for the 5% flavor & Color grape
Thank again
Mike,

This is our Zin blend (1440 LBS)
Zinfandel Lanza77.50%
Syrah Lanza15.00%
Petit Verdot LMP or Petite Sirah5.00%
Muscat Alexandria: Valley Beauty2.50%

This is our Super Tuscan Blend (1300 LBS)
Cabernet Sauvignon Lanza27.78%
Sangiovese Brunello Lanza (Napa)50.00%
Syrah Lanza16.67%
Petit Verdot L.M.P/Petite Sirah5.56%

I don't think you can go wrong with any of those AVA's. If I were looking for the best Zin I could buy, I'd first look for Lodi, then Paso Robles then Amador. I use both PS and PV as blenders. Which is better, the answer, like most poker questions is, it depends. They are a spice that can bring out the flavors in the wine that it is being blended with. If you wanted to accentuate the spicy note in Zin, I would definitely do the PS. If you wanted to take the spicy note down a few octaves, I'd use PV. In the Tuscan blend, PV would have my vote, as it provides a very nice complementary finish on Cab blends.

Maybe I'll see you all at ginos...placed my order this week, going with 8 sangiovese and 6 old vine zine gonna blend 66/33 on a portion and keep 5 gall of each pure...
I do like the super tuscan idea...may e next year

I don't think you can go wrong with any of those AVA's. If I were looking for the best Zin I could buy, I'd first look for Lodi, then Paso Robles then Amador. I use both PS and PV as blenders. Which is better, the answer, like most poker questions is, it depends. They are a spice that can bring out the flavors in the wine that it is being blended with. If you wanted to accentuate the spicy note in Zin, I would definitely do the PS. If you wanted to take the spicy note down a few octaves, I'd use PV. In the Tuscan blend, PV would have my vote, as it provides a very nice complementary finish on Cab blends.
Thank NorCal,
Great perspective

Latest posts

Back