2020 Fall Grape Season Coming Up

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fed last night and things are really rolling this morning. You could hear all 5 fermenters rumbling. I still haven't measured SG, but will today at some point. Like @jgmann67 , my Sangiovese seems to be winning the race so far.

Looks like things will fall into place for a press on Sunday, though still not certain.

Mine are chugging along faster than I expected. Might press as early as tomorrow evening.

What's your punch down tool?
Since you’re interested in punch down tools, Fred, I thought I’d share a couple of short videos from one of my favorite wineries: Clos Fantine in Faugères. You’ll get to see how they use the ‘pigeou artisanale de Clos Fantine’ in their huge cement tanks. If you’re curious, towards the end of the first video she says something like ‘In this tank this year it was juice at the beginning and we did a délestage. After that we left it alone and didn’t touch anything. Now we’re at the point of removing it from the tank so we’ll do a punch down so the juice rises back into the cap and makes it more liquid.’

In the second video they explain they only punch down once or twice total because they prefer to leave the must ‘tranquil.’

Last edited:
Since you’re interested in punch down tools, Fred, I thought I’d share a couple of short videos from one of my favorite wineries: Clos Fantine in Faugères. You’ll get to see how they use the ‘pigeou artisanale de Clos Fantine’ in their huge cement tanks. If you’re curious, towards the end of the first video she says something like ‘In this tank this year it was juice at the beginning and we did a délestage. After that we left it alone and didn’t touch anything. Now we’re at the point of removing it from the tank so we’ll do a punch down so the juice rises back into the cap and makes it more liquid.’

In the second video they explain they only punch down once or twice because they prefer to leave the must ‘tranquil.’

Great videos. A shame they can’t do pumpovers in the cement tanks. He’s gonna be working those tanks all day long! Thanks for sharing.

Great videos. A shame they can’t do pumpovers in the cement tanks. He’s gonna be working those tanks all day long! Thanks for sharing.
Yeah, no doubt. At the beginning of the second video, the guy with the camera says, ‘And so after an hour and a half of effort, the cap has been pierced.’ My understanding is this particular winery doesn’t use any pumps; everything is done with gravity. As best I can tell, they do just one délestage (which also must be a pain without a pump), then seal it up for however long fermentation is going to take, then finish with the one punch down at décuvage. So at least he doesn’t have to do it every day. Having had a few bottles over the years, I will say the results are delicious.

I've always thought if the skins are left to the open air if will cause spoilage organisms primarily acetic bacteria.
If it’s a sealed cement tank though is that the same thing as open air? That space is filled with some seriously strong gasses. I guess that would prevent the bacteria.

And delestage is an interesting technique not often utilized at home. But anyone who uses some type of racking pipe filter is more then capable to doing it. Then I guess after some time passed just dump back in on top of the skins. While still punching down routinely?
The act itself is very doable. But fguring out what grapes would benefit, how often to do it, and would it even be worth it—- that’s another story.

If it’s a sealed cement tank though is that the same thing as open air? That space is filled with some seriously strong gasses. I guess that would prevent the bacteria.
Indeed. In a couple of these videos when people look in the opening at the grapes they’re warned about getting too close as they get hit in the face by carbon dioxide.

My Albarino and Viognier are getting close. Tomorrow evening or Saturday I will combine the fermenting carboys to settle out yeasts. I have each split into two to ferment. Zinfandel with Assmanhausen is surprisingly almost done as well. Syrah slowed, I hope it will finish up without issues. I am probably just unfamiliar with how the yeast is progressing, though it did blast past and I missed the timing for extra nutrients.
I was supposed to be back on Saturday for Malvasia that missed the last truck. Then it was unavailable and substituted Muscat- which ended up not happening as Delta sent truck short again, and without notice. Jim is going to pick up some buckets from S&S as replacements, particularly as part of what has gone missing again is his own juice. I gave some possibles but really am not sure what I will be getting. Something will work out. The possibles were all from next year's projects, but I'd planned to get juice and grapes so I'd have skins. At this rate I could have gone to pick up Italian juice, but really don't have time to run to Gino Pinto.

Here are this morning's numbers:

Cab Sauv: 1.016 (BM4X4, starting Brix of 23.2)

Sangiovese: 1.004 (BM4X4, starting Brix of 22.8)

Merlot: 1.022 (D21, starting Brix of 23.0)

Cab Franc: 1.036 (D254, starting Brix of 25)

Zin: 1.008 (RP15, starting Brix of 23.6)

I'm not sure what to do. Thinking I should press the Sangio and Zin tomorrow (Saturday), but it's a busy day and I absolutely hate the thought of setting up and cleaning up twice. A little concerned about the Cab Franc. Thoughts?

I'm not sure what to do. Thinking I should press the Sangio and Zin tomorrow (Saturday), but it's a busy day and I absolutely hate the thought of setting up and cleaning up twice. A little concerned about the Cab Franc. Thoughts?

lots of CO2 in those wines. If it’s me (and it likely will be when I take readings tonight), I’d cover those wines, keep the bugs away and go one more day into Sunday. Press everything in one day.

You can let those suckers go another day or two for sure, even when they are done fermenting, you've got days of CO2 in there. I'd wait til Sunday and do the ones that are below 1.000, the rest when they are all below. Or just let em all go for several days for a little mini EM........

Keep in mind the Cab Franc had the highest brix so to me it makes sense it is the furthest behind.

Latest posts

Back