WM81's 2021 reds

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winemaker81

wine dabbler
Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This fall's grapes have undergone evolution, as ideas crossed my mind, discussions with my son & niece occurred, and -- finally -- the list of available grapes solidified. My local group gets one shipment from the west coast, so we get a choice of what grapes are available which appears to be centered around Cabernet Sauvignon, which comprised 30% of the overall order for the last 2 years. The choice of shipment date is actually complex, although our coordinator handles that and I cheerfully order from the list he provides.

The 2020 grapes (still in barrel) are a Meritage (Merlot heavy Bordeaux blend) and Meritage+ (added Zinfandel), so for 2021 I wanted to do something totally different. I get bored drinking the same wines. Rhone was top of my list, although I'd have to do a southern northern Rhone as Grenache is not available in our shipment windows.

However, this year's early ripening grapes changed the landscape -- Grenache IS available, so Barrel #1 will be a northern southern Rhone blend [number in "()" is # of 36 lb lugs]:

Grenache (5), Syrah (2), Mourvèdre (1). I researched Rhone blends and this seemed like a good fit for the grapes I have available.

The second barrel was a tougher choice -- Do a northern Rhone or something different? "Different" won the battle. This year we have a selection of Italian grapes available, ones that were not available the last 2 years, so we are taking advantage of it in case they are not available next year. However ... the grapes are from different areas of Italy and not normally blended together, so we researched the characteristics of each and are winging it:

Sangiovese (4), Montipulciano (1), Nebbiolo (1), Nero D' Avoia (1), Sagrantino (1). The choices were based upon aromatics, flavoring, and coloring provided by each grape.

The order is being placed and I'll have the grapes in a couple of weeks.

EDIT: I boggled my northern/southern Rhone; fixed.

Last edited:
This fall's grapes have undergone evolution, as ideas crossed my mind, discussions with my son & niece occurred, and -- finally -- the list of available grapes solidified. My local group gets one shipment from the west coast, so we get a choice of what grapes are available which appears to be centered around Cabernet Sauvignon, which comprised 30% of the overall order for the last 2 years. The choice of shipment date is actually complex, although our coordinator handles that and I cheerfully order from the list he provides.

The 2020 grapes (still in barrel) are a Meritage (Merlot heavy Bordeaux blend) and Meritage+ (added Zinfandel), so for 2021 I wanted to do something totally different. I get bored drinking the same wines. Rhone was top of my list, although I'd have to do a southern Rhone as Grenache is not available in our shipment windows.

However, this year's early ripening grapes changed the landscape -- Grenache IS available, so Barrel #1 will be a northern Rhone blend [number in "()" is # of 36 lb lugs]:

Grenache (5), Syrah (2), Mourvèdre (1). I researched Rhone blends and this seemed like a good fit for the grapes I have available.

The second barrel was a tougher choice -- Do a northern Rhone or something different? "Different" won the battle. This year we have a selection of Italian grapes available, ones that were not available the last 2 years, so we are taking advantage of it in case they are not available next year. However ... the grapes are from different areas of Italy and not normally blended together, so we researched the characteristics of each and are winging it:

Sangiovese (4), Montipulciano (1), Nebbiolo (1), Nero D' Avoia (1), Sagrantino (1). The choices were based upon aromatics, flavoring, and coloring provided by each grape.

The order is being placed and I'll have the grapes in a couple of weeks.

AFAIK, "Northen Rhone" = Syrah + Viognier, and "Southern Rhone" = GSM (plus possibly a few others, like Cinsault). Is that not right?

AFAIK, "Northen Rhone" = Syrah + Viognier, and "Southern Rhone" = GSM (plus possibly a few others, like Cinsault). Is that not right?
Yes, northern Rhone is based on Syrah, often lightened with Viognier and (IIRC) Marsanne.

Grenache, Syrah, and Mourvèdre are the most well-known blends from southern Rhone, but there's another 8 to 10 reds that can be blended in (we had a recent thread on the # of varieties in southern Rhone).

Based upon previous years' availability, I was going to blend, Syrah, Mourvèdre, and Petite Sirah, but am very happy the Grenache became available.

Rhone was top of my list, although I'd have to do a southern Rhone as Grenache is not available in our shipment windows.

However, this year's early ripening grapes changed the landscape -- Grenache IS available, so Barrel #1 will be a northern Rhone blend [number in "()" is # of 36 lb lugs]:

The bolded part is what prompted my comment.

Update -- our winemaking plans have been totally scotched. The delivery date has migrated over the last month, where the initial expectation was the grapes would be 2 to 3 weeks early. We thought it was settled that grapes would arrive today (15 Oct).

Tuesday we got word the shipment is delayed a week, due to unavailability of pickers and packers.

My son gets married a week from tomorrow, so my entire weekend is completely booked. I had to cancel my order! [I invented new swear words specially for this situation!]

Plan B -- we have 2 barrels to fill, so we are going to buy kits to keep them filled for the next year.

EDIT: I haven't made fruit wine in the last couple of years as I did not have capacity. Since there will be no 2nd run wine this fall, it appears fruit wine is on the list.

It sucks, but it's not the end of the world. We're still going to do an Italian and a Rhone (ish).

I'm ordering 3 FWK Super Tuscans for 1 barrel, and a Syrah, Petite Sirah, and Merlot for the other. Yes, I'm being stubborn and am sticking to the plan (well, as much as feasible!). 😂

Once these are underway, I intend to pick up an Elderberry concentrate, and possibly a Black Raspberry. The Elderberry will be made as a straight Elderberry, while I'm thinking off adding fresh papaya, pineapple, and mango to the Black Raspberry, to produce a version of the Island Mist Exotic Fruit kit -- but less sweet. I'm also thinking of buying 2 bushels of apples at the Raleigh Farmers Market, juicing them, and making a batch of apple.

Well, that stinks that your order can't come through as planned, but it sounds like you have a more-than-adequate Plan B in place.

My son & I ordered 8 FWKs -- the reds mentioned above, plus I ordered a Chardonnay and he ordered a Riesling.

The whites arrived Wednesday and we immediately started them. The Syrah, Petite Sirah, and Merlot are supposed to arrive Saturday, and the Super Tuscans ship on Monday. I was originally expecting to get all the kits at once, but the staggering is much better. We are using purified water and at 4.4 gallons per kit, that's a lot of water to haul at once!

In addition to my regular online winemaking notes, I started a Chardonnay in Detail blog, which is very similar to the Barbera in Detail blog I started in August. Both go deeply into the details of making the kits, but focus on different points. The Chardonnay is a colder ferment (65-66 F) and I'm paying attention to details I didn't with the Barbera.

At this time I have no intention of doing this with the remaining kits, as it would probably be redundant. However, it's possible that some new idea will strike me, so we'll see.

BTW -- I had a minor issue with the whites order -- miscommunication regarding the shipping. I emailed with Matt P and we quickly resolved it. Then one of his folks called me as a follow-up. Excellent customer service from my POV!

In general I've had good results in contacting winemaking-related vendors. Recently Five Star Chemicals responded quickly to a question regarding Star San and provided information far beyond my question. Winexpert responded quickly to questions regarding a kit. Gino Pinto (grape & juice supplier) was very helpful when I contacted them. The NC and VA wine & grape organizations responded quickly as well. Some organizations have not responded to inquiries, but I'm batting around 0.85.

Latest posts

Back