2020 Fall Grape Season Coming Up

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Soldiers clean, lined up and ready for battle. Grapes arrived a bit ago and word is they are in good shape (phew!). Sounds like several juice buckets weren't on the truck though and another delivery will be made next weekend. And there are apparently several buckets that nobody ordered. May have to bring some cash...

1601685263284.jpeg

Home and the must had been dosed with llalzyme ex.

My good ph meter refuses to calibrate, though. And the difference between the good ph meter, and my cheap one is about.18. I think I’m going average them out and call it a deal. That puts my musts at approximately the following:

Malbec - 3.65. Sg is about 1.095
Cab-Merlot - 3.52 SG about 1.10
Sangiovese - 3.41 SG 1.095.

That’ll work.

I was going to field blend the Super Tuscan blend before fermentation. But, the largest fermenter I have is 32 gallons and I worry that nearly 29 gallons of wine will blow the top off of it when the cap forms. So, they’ll stay apart till after pressing.

Last edited:
It was good seeing you Jim, hope you enjoy the barrel. My crush numbers are:

Petite Sirah - brix 24 - pH 3.78 probably going to take it to 6 to 6.5 and leave the brix alone.
Carignan - brix 17 - pH 3.71
OVZ - brix 23.2 - pH 3.70 pretty much the same as the PS.

Not sure yet what I'll do with the Carignan, it's only one lug which will be blended with 4 lugs of OVZ after fermentation so I might leave it alone. I'll make my final decisions tomorrow after I take the readings again.

Good seeing all of you today. Dad and I got back, had lunch, then got to work. Crush took just over an hour and cleanup about 45 minutes. Not too bad. Mrs Boatboy did jump in and crank the C/D for a few lugs. Much quieter event this year, with no other family or friends. Stupid COVID. Just hung on the deck with Dad for about an hour after we finished and had a beer. About that time, Mom showed up and we hung out there w/ Mrs Boatboy; enjoying the spectacular weather. We ordered some pizza and I opened up my last bottle of "Pahpy's Blend". This was one of three different blends we did in 2015 with Cab, Syrah and Petite Sirah and was my Dad's #1 choice of the 4 or 5 blends we tried during bench trials. Ultimately bottled 3 blends, but this one turned out best. It was really good. I just finished adding enzymes to the grapes and will measure Brix and pH in the morning, prior to pitching the yeast. Any required acid adjustments will be done as well.

All in all, this was a pretty good crush. The grapes were in very good shape, and going by taste, will make some very good wines. So far, extraction is good already - especially on the Zin and Merlot. Excited to see how things turn out.

Again, it was great seeing everyone, even if in masks. Looking forward to trying everyone's wines. And I'll post some pics tomorrow. The only one I have on my phone is the back of my car full of grapes. The rest are on Mrs. Boatboy's phone. :(

Not sure yet what I'll do with the Carignan, it's only one lug which will be blended with 4 lugs of OVZ after fermentation so I might leave it alone. I'll make my final decisions tomorrow after I take the readings again.

That Carignan does not sound ripe. How do the seeds taste? I might keep it separate, for now. I know it's a small amount, but no reason to risk the larger amount by doing it all together.

My juice buckets are still at 52°F at nearly 1am. Should be fermentable temps by morning, but the basement is only 63°F. Should be long cool ferments.
Got to pickup quite a bit later than intended. Apparently be there at 10:30 was interpreted as leave the house at 10:45.
I'll be back again next Saturday to get the rest.

It was good seeing you Jim, hope you enjoy the barrel. My crush numbers are:

Petite Sirah - brix 24 - pH 3.78 probably going to take it to 6 to 6.5 and leave the brix alone.
OVZ - brix 23.2 - pH 3.70 pretty much the same as the PS.

It was really good seeing you guys. I’ll want to read up on barrel prep again over the next couple weeks, make sure I know what I’m doing

I’ll make sure Craig gets that Tannat too.

But I agree - that Carignan doesn sound ripe.

Over the time these grapes finish in the primary, I have to figure out how I’m going to set up my press (first time actually using a real one) and get about 30 gallons of finished wine in bottles.

Good seeing all of you today. Dad and I got back, had lunch, then got to work. Crush took just over an hour and cleanup about 45 minutes. Not too bad. Mrs Boatboy did jump in and crank the C/D for a few lugs. Much quieter event this year, with no other family or friends. Stupid COVID. Just hung on the deck with Dad for about an hour after we finished and had a beer. About that time, Mom showed up and we hung out there w/ Mrs Boatboy; enjoying the spectacular weather. We ordered some pizza and I opened up my last bottle of "Pahpy's Blend". This was one of three different blends we did in 2015 with Cab, Syrah and Petite Sirah and was my Dad's #1 choice of the 4 or 5 blends we tried during bench trials. Ultimately bottled 3 blends, but this one turned out best. It was really good. I just finished adding enzymes to the grapes and will measure Brix and pH in the morning, prior to pitching the yeast. Any required acid adjustments will be done as well.

All in all, this was a pretty good crush. The grapes were in very good shape, and going by taste, will make some very good wines. So far, extraction is good already - especially on the Zin and Merlot. Excited to see how things turn out.

Again, it was great seeing everyone, even if in masks. Looking forward to trying everyone's wines. And I'll post some pics tomorrow. The only one I have on my phone is the back of my car full of grapes. The rest are on Mrs. Boatboy's phone. :(

The Cab/Merlot are still pretty stiff. The Malbec and Sangio are breaking down very nicely. I know I’m not supposed to, but I stirred in the yeast and nutrient (rather than let it lay on top). Hoping for a slower start, longer finish and more time on the skins.

Wish I had someone who was interested in making wine here. Everyone in my house is only down for drinking it.

Been in the lab the last couple hours, measuring and adjusting. Yeast starters are now going and I'll pitch shortly. Here are my numbers:

Cabernet Sauvignon: 23.2, 4.02 (adjusted down to 3.54)
Sangiovese: 22.8, 3.48 (no adjustments)
Merlot: 23.0, 3.81 (adjusted down to 3.57)
Cabernet Franc: 25.0, 4.02 (adjusted down to 3.38 :oops:)
Old Vine Zin: 23.6, 3.76 (adjusted down to 3.56)

I decided that I've been too passive about pH adjustments in the past. Previously, I probably would have only adjusted the CS and CF and even then, probably only down to 3.75 or 3.8. What shocked me was the change in the Cab Franc. The starting pH was the same as the Cab Sauv and I added exactly the same amount of tartaric acid to both. I'm going to stir and remeasure again before pitching the yeast - I hope I didn't screw that one up.

BTW, all adjustments targeted a finishing pH between 3.55 and 3.60 and the tartaric added was half of what I calculated I needed to get there.

Last edited:
My morning numbers:

Carignan - 19.5, 3.59
OVZ - 24.5, 3.59
PS - 25.2, 3.76

The Carignan and OVZ changed dramatically, PS not so much. Only going to adjust the PS down .2. Yeast cultures are made, going with:

Carignan - GRE to help with the vegetal characteristics due to the low brix.
OVZ - R56, AMH, D21, They all contribute to spices which I like in a ZIN.
PS - R56, Syrah, HD-S135 (Fermentis) All 3 are for big reds. Strangely enough I don't get any tannin structure from the PS so I'll probably add some tannins as well.

@Boatboy24

So for the CS, how many g/L did you add? That looks like a substantial adjustment. Just trying to calibrate my "what's normal" scale. My biggest add this year was 1.5g/L based on anticipated finished wine, but I'm will to adjust again at the mid winter rack.

I, too, have found an non-linear relationship, and especially at first noted a pH overshoot, which then a few hours later had settled at a higher number.

@Boatboy24

So for the CS, how many g/L did you add? That looks like a substantial adjustment. Just trying to calibrate my "what's normal" scale. My biggest add this year was 1.5g/L based on anticipated finished wine, but I'm will to adjust again at the mid winter rack.

I, too, have found an non-linear relationship, and especially at first noted a pH overshoot, which then a few hours later had settled at a higher number.

It was 3 lugs of grapes, which I expect will produce a 7-7.5 gallons at press. Let's call it 27 liters. I added 54g of tartaric, which would give me an addition of 2g/L. After about a 90 minute rest and another stir, I remeasured the Cab Frank and it had come back up to 3.59. The Cab Sauv rose up to about 3.62.

Oh, and if anyone's interested, here are my yeast selections:

Sangiovese: BM4X4
Merlot: D21
Cabernet Franc: D254
Cab Sauv: BM4X4
Zinfandel: RP15

Nice seeing @Boatboy24 and @kvaden again, meeting @jgmann67, and thanks again to @mainshipfred for the ride and the crush yesterday. I got just a lug each of Carignan, Grenache, and Syrah, plus a bucket of Grenache. I think that the Grenache grapes may actually have been Grenache Gris, as they were awfully pink. I crushed everything together, keeping 10% ish of whole clusters and 3 gallons of the juice. I wish I’d taken measurements before adding the juice but it can’t be undone. The must measures 22 Brix and pH 3.45. No additions and I’m about to pitch the pied de cuve from what was left of the Cabernet Franc from my vineyard. Wish me luck.

Is the wide difference in the same grapes (for example, my Merlot vs yours) a product of sourcing grapes from different vineyards in Lodi? Or should I go back and test again?? 🤔

Did your Merlot have Cab mixed in?

My morning numbers:

Carignan - 19.5, 3.59
OVZ - 24.5, 3.59
PS - 25.2, 3.76

The Carignan and OVZ changed dramatically, PS not so much. Only going to adjust the PS down .2. Yeast cultures are made, going with:

Carignan - GRE to help with the vegetal characteristics due to the low brix.
OVZ - R56, AMH, D21, They all contribute to spices which I like in a ZIN.
PS - R56, Syrah, HD-S135 (Fermentis) All 3 are for big reds. Strangely enough I don't get any tannin structure from the PS so I'll probably add some tannins as well.

Make sure to keep an extra eye on that petite sirah with fermentis 135 so we can compare notes. Curious about Lag phase and max temp.

I had visible activity overnight but took 2 days for the 1st strong cap to punch. Didn’t know if was from yeast or from not hydrating.
And temp couldn’t quite breach 80°. (rarely I’m able). Think it peaked at 77° or 78°but oddly wasn’t until after the most vigorous portion was already passed

Make sure to keep an extra eye on that petite sirah with fermentis 135 so we can compare notes. Curious about Lag phase and max temp.

I had visible activity overnight but took 2 days for the 1st strong cap to punch. Didn’t know if was from yeast or from not hydrating.
And temp couldn’t quite breach 80°. (rarely I’m able). Think it peaked at 77° or 78°but oddly wasn’t until after the most vigorous portion was already passed

Will do, I did hydrate the yeast and used GoFerm. Inoculated around 1:00, will probably go back around 7 or 8 to see how things are going. My shop is around 70.

I picked up my grapes from Washington Winemakers, too. I added Lallzyme EX-V on Saturday. On Sunday, I stirred the must, gently blended a sample and filtered it, calibrated with fresh chemicals, and tested. Here are my numbers.

Cab Sav: 26 Brix, pH 4.07
Cab Franc: 26 Brix, pH 4.03
Malbec: 22 Brix, pH 4.11

The Malbec was unexpected, low Brix and high pH. On all varieties, I adjusted acid down to pH 3.4. I prefer 23 Brix, but I did not water back.

I picked up my grapes from Washington Winemakers, too. I added Lallzyme EX-V on Saturday. On Sunday, I stirred the must, gently blended a sample and filtered it, calibrated with fresh chemicals, and tested. Here are my numbers.

Cab Sav: 26 Brix, pH 4.07
Cab Franc: 26 Brix, pH 4.03
Malbec: 22 Brix, pH 4.11

The Malbec was unexpected, low Brix and high pH. On all varieties, I adjusted acid down to pH 3.4. I prefer 23 Brix, but I did not water back.

Our Cab Franc numbers aren't far apart, but interesting about the Cab Sauv. I had a similarly high pH (4.02), but only read 23.2 Brix.

Latest posts

Back