2020 Fall Grape Season Coming Up

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely on my list when I get up that way. Was supposed to go up to the corner this year for a week in April, the Covid took care of that plan.

It was a good surprise to me. We were up there for a wedding, and had a great time in Walla Walla. The wineries are being very careful about the COVID-19 restrictions. You have to have a reservation at each place, but the reservations can be obtained at the door. It seemed safe and OK to me. But we could drive, so understood that it's difficult from back east. I hope you get there when this COVID thing is over.

with a handful of local suppliers close by I’m lucky enough to have many different options

All kinds of lodi grapes, Amador gold, Suisun valley fruit-Lanza. LMP, Tenbrink, Koch Ranch
Pricey cab from Sonoma called ‘Dundsen Vineyard’. Also Paso Robles grapes.
El Dorado County in Sierra Foothills
Wash St Rattlesnake hills. Also can get Red Mountain

The biggest problem I face is wanting to get the best quality fruit I can get but I honestly just don’t know enough about all this. —The AVAs. What types of seasons means for diff things—
And nobody’s gonna tell ya the quality came in crappy this year for their product. I might just as well put on a blindfold and throw a dart against the wall

It was a good surprise to me. We were up there for a wedding, and had a great time in Walla Walla. The wineries are being very careful about the COVID-19 restrictions. You have to have a reservation at each place, but the reservations can be obtained at the door. It seemed safe and OK to me. But we could drive, so understood that it's difficult from back east. I hope you get there when this COVID thing is over.

Early on, Seattle was a Covid war zone, and there was no way in hell I was getting into a contaminated sheet metal tube for 3 hours. Still kinda feel that way about flying......

Actually, the owner of the winery where I have my grapes delivered offered to let me buy grapes with him from Oregon and Washington. I believe the quality will be a step up from my Lodi source, so I’ll probably be taking the year off from them anyway. No worries there, they’re second generation and won’t be going away any time soon.

I'd be curious to know how expensive they are. In my limited experience, WA grapes do not come cheap.

I'd be curious to know how expensive they are. In my limited experience, WA grapes do not come cheap.
I'll certainly be happy to share the information when I get it. It'll be interesting to see what he's going to have access to this year. I know he typically has 3 tractor trailer loads of grapes delivered from the west coast, so the quantity is there for pricing advantages.

with a handful of local suppliers close by I’m lucky enough to have many different options

All kinds of lodi grapes, Amador gold, Suisun valley fruit-Lanza. LMP, Tenbrink, Koch Ranch
Pricey cab from Sonoma called ‘Dundsen Vineyard’. Also Paso Robles grapes.
El Dorado County in Sierra Foothills
Wash St Rattlesnake hills. Also can get Red Mountain

The biggest problem I face is wanting to get the best quality fruit I can get but I honestly just don’t know enough about all this. —The AVAs. What types of seasons means for diff things—
And nobody’s gonna tell ya the quality came in crappy this year for their product. I might just as well put on a blindfold and throw a dart against the wall

Where do you source your grapes from? In the past I have use Procacci Brothers in PHL and Hartford Winery in MD but would like to find a few more options.

@Ajmassa
I'm with you, I don't know enough about the AVA's and the annual growing conditions in each location. I listen intently to all the folks on this site, and read the news from industry web sites; but it's still difficult to know what to choose from the limited supplies we get trucked in.

Where do you source your grapes from? In the past I have use Procacci Brothers in PHL and Hartford Winery in MD but would like to find a few more options.
Living in south jersey I’m lucky enough to have multiple options relatively close for fresh grapes

1. Gino Pintos Hammonton Nj - offer multiple options. Around a dozen diff vineyards each fall (own fleet of trucks. Act as own supplier)
2. Procacci Bros S. Philly- 2 different Central Valley options typically (private supplier. Pia)
3. Keystone Homebrew Montgomeryville PA - similar to Pintos (F Colavita & Son supplier)
4. Corrados North Jersey - similar to Procacci

Thanks for all the info. Im trying to get my Fall plan together. Im thinking I want to do about 15 gallons of Cab/Merlot blend and 6 of Viognier. Last time I tried fresh grapes it didn't turn out well, hopefully this time I can turn it around!

Thanks for all the info. Im trying to get my Fall plan together. Im thinking I want to do about 15 gallons of Cab/Merlot blend and 6 of Viognier. Last time I tried fresh grapes it didn't turn out well, hopefully this time I can turn it around!

Others may disagree but I would recommend getting a juice bucket for the Viognier. The processing is close to the same for whites and there is a considerable cost difference with grapes and juice. I feel reds are a different story though and it's worth the money to go grape. What didn't you particularly dislike about your last batch?

Couple of supplies questions, not worthy or a separate thread...
1. Found a pack of VP 41 in the fridge. The expiration date reads: "EXP -18C: May-21." Does it mean it has to be stored at -18C to be good until May 21? If so, does anyone have experience with year-old MLB?
2. Looking for tannin derived from grapes rather than oak, and all I can find is 1kg packages for $300-400. Home grape grower/winemaker, I don't need that much. Is anyone aware of tannins from grapes in smaller quantities?

Couple of supplies questions, not worthy or a separate thread...
1. Found a pack of VP 41 in the fridge. The expiration date reads: "EXP -18C: May-21." Does it mean it has to be stored at -18C to be good until May 21? If so, does anyone have experience with year-old MLB?
2. Looking for tannin derived from grapes rather than oak, and all I can find is 1kg packages for $300-400. Home grape grower/winemaker, I don't need that much. Is anyone aware of tannins from grapes in smaller quantities?

In a brief search I see Scott Labs has UVA'TAN and TAN Soft in 500 gram packs. Still a lot at $189 and $211. There has to be other products out there though

@Stressbaby I’ve used Lodi Labs website for some stuff over the years. one thing I took notice of was the amount of tannin selection they offer. Much more than other sites. Many are only sold large quantities- but definitely not all. (I’ve had nothing but positive experiences dealing with Lodi btw. Great customer service)
Its worth a look

https://www.lodiwinelabs.com/collections/tannins

Others may disagree but I would recommend getting a juice bucket for the Viognier. The processing is close to the same for whites and there is a considerable cost difference with grapes and juice. I feel reds are a different story though and it's worth the money to go grape. What didn't you particularly dislike about your last batch?

I'll give the white bucket a try. I gave grapes a try in Sept '16 and they just didn't come out well. It was my first foray into it and I just assumed it was just like a kit. I Didn't take any readings, didn't make any adjustments, just crushed into a bucket and tossed the yeast. Had no clue what a punchdown was or how to spell MLF. Needless to say it was an epic fail. After that I gave up on the hobby for awhile because I was so busy with work. I think I'm ready to give it another shot this year, and plan on leaning on the forum heavily for guidance!

@Stressbaby I’ve used Lodi Labs website for some stuff over the years. one thing I took notice of was the amount of tannin selection they offer. Much more than other sites. Many are only sold large quantities- but definitely not all. (I’ve had nothing but positive experiences dealing with Lodi btw. Great customer service)
Its worth a look

https://www.lodiwinelabs.com/collections/tannins

Thanks! They do have UVA Tan in 250g packets. UVA Tan was the brand specifically recommended.

I'll give the white bucket a try. I gave grapes a try in Sept '16 and they just didn't come out well. It was my first foray into it and I just assumed it was just like a kit. I Didn't take any readings, didn't make any adjustments, just crushed into a bucket and tossed the yeast. Had no clue what a punchdown was or how to spell MLF. Needless to say it was an epic fail. After that I gave up on the hobby for awhile because I was so busy with work. I think I'm ready to give it another shot this year, and plan on leaning on the forum heavily for guidance!

Don't know if you have a crusher destemmer but you can always bring the grapes to my shop, chances are I'll be crushing something. BTW, there are 5 of us locals meeting at a winery on Sunday at 2:00. it's 3 Creeks 18548 Harmony Church Road, Hamilton VA. I'll text Brandon to let him know as well. Didn't know we had so many of us so close. I know the winemaker and was going to ask if he could sit with us for a while.

Don't know if you have a crusher destemmer but you can always bring the grapes to my shop, chances are I'll be crushing something. BTW, there are 5 of us locals meeting at a winery on Sunday at 2:00. it's 3 Creeks 18548 Harmony Church Road, Hamilton VA. I'll text Brandon to let him know as well. Didn't know we had so many of us so close. I know the winemaker and was going to ask if he could sit with us for a while.

I actually do have a crusher destemmer, but thank you for the offer! I work Sunday morning but I think I get off early enough to stop into the winery for a bit, thank you for the invite!

Back