2020 Fall Grape Season Coming Up

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Stressbaby I’ve used Lodi Labs website for some stuff over the years. one thing I took notice of was the amount of tannin selection they offer. Much more than other sites. Many are only sold large quantities- but definitely not all. (I’ve had nothing but positive experiences dealing with Lodi btw. Great customer service)
Its worth a look

https://www.lodiwinelabs.com/collections/tannins
I live in Lodi and love going into LWL. Last year I sent in my wine panels at the end of the day. Within two hours, I had my results. The staff there is absolutely amazing. They are as passionate as they are knowledgeable. I am pretty certain my next car will have to wait, because LWL is gonna end up with my money instead. :)

To me, Lodi is trying hard to carve out it's own thing. There are a lot of grapes in the area. But, it's just part of the central valley. So hot climate grapes are likely what you want from there. Zinfandel is a staple there. Great from the foothills(Amador, El Dorado) and places like Dry Creek in Sonoma. I'm a huge fan. Pinot Noir not so much. It likes cooler temps. Coastal California and Oregon. Those grapes are likely not available back east. Maybe look for Central coast Pinot Noir. Great wines from around SLO and even Santa Barbara.

For me, I like wine that compliments food. That's my bias and I'll own it. We are having a '16 Syrah tonight with Salmon I caught last month in Alaska. Doesn't get much better.

What's interesting is that last year, Lodi exported more Cabernet Sauvignon than they did Zinfandel. There are a couple of wineries here that can give Napa a run for their money with our local Cab. Sadly, I am starting to feel a personal departure from Zin. I made a mistake of taking a swig of a late harvest, thinking it was a standard OVZ. Man, it's like tequila. One bad night and it sticks with you for a long time. lol

@DPCellars we are practically neighbors. I live just outside of Sacramento to the east and frequently go to LWL for supplies. It's maybe a 30 minute drive for me.

LWL turn around is great. Super pro, quick and no nonsense.

Hit me up if you have a home wine maker quantity of grapes and I will join in your purchase, especially if Barbera!

I have to say, I've not had a Lodi cab that compares to the richness of Napa or Sonoma but I do have an open mind and willing to try. Most lodi varietals seem to be grown for highest possible yield vs highest possible quality but I know they are trying to change that. I hope they do.

@DPCellars we are practically neighbors. I live just outside of Sacramento to the east and frequently go to LWL for supplies. It's maybe a 30 minute drive for me.

LWL turn around is great. Super pro, quick and no nonsense.

Hit me up if you have a home wine maker quantity of grapes and I will join in your purchase, especially if Barbera!

I have to say, I've not had a Lodi cab that compares to the richness of Napa or Sonoma but I do have an open mind and willing to try. Most lodi varietals seem to be grown for highest possible yield vs highest possible quality but I know they are trying to change that. I hope they do.

Man, that sounds great! So...out of curiosity... What would you consider a "home wine maker quantity of grapes"? I am so new to this that I do not really know what that is. Most I have produced in my staggering 2 years is 96 bottles. lol

Man, that sounds great! So...out of curiosity... What would you consider a "home wine maker quantity of grapes"? I am so new to this that I do not really know what that is. Most I have produced in my staggering 2 years is 96 bottles. lol

Great question. I like to see a minimum of 300 pounds of grapes. With a maximum around 500 pounds. That's what I can deal with. Others will feel differently.

Got the Washington Winemaker's price list a bit ago. What's everyone making? Anyone make a Pinot Noir from their grapes in recent years?
Noticed they have Albarino grapes - I'm tempted.
My friend has Pinot Noir from last year- it was decent, but nothing spectacular but good for drinking with meals. I doubt you can make spectacular without knowing the vineyard and grapes you are really getting. My goal for now is something I like better than bulk wine, it'll do.
Last year they did not get Albarino grapes, as order was later than grapes could hold. I don't know about juice. They also did not get Touriga juice, which is what I am trying for this year, along with Albarino and Tempranillo juice.
Everything is juice for me, with added lugs of probably Petit Sirah. I just don't have it in me to deal with much pressing, though I have gotten an offer of a press to use. A couple gallons will be jelly. Last year's Merlot and Barbera was wonderful.
What's the difference between what would be called Primitivo vs Zinfandel?

Great question. I like to see a minimum of 300 pounds of grapes. With a maximum around 500 pounds. That's what I can deal with. Others will feel differently.

Just missed it. I hand picked and crushed about 400 pounds of Pinot last Wednesday and 400 pounds of Cab on Sunday. Pressing the Pinot tomorrow morning.

They are basically the same and can be sold in California as either. I read that the Primitivo is ripe about 1 week earlier than Zinfandel given the same conditions, but I don't know that to be a fact. Europe considers the two to be the same.

I do know this will be my 4th year making wine from Primitivo and look forward to picking on the 19th of September assuming it continues to ripen at the same rate!

Last edited:
Got the Washington Winemaker's price list a bit ago. What's everyone making? Anyone make a Pinot Noir from their grapes in recent years? I need to make another, but am not sure about the idea of one from Lodi. Zin would be another choice (and one I really like), but I have 14 gallons from 2019. My partner (Dad) suggested another "Prisoner" style blend like we did in 2015, but I've got those wines ready to blend from 2018. I might just do the same 4 wines (Zin, Cab, Syrah, Petite Sirah), but target a different style blend.

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome - especially if you've had success with WW grapes in the past.

Edit: Here's the list of what's available.

View attachment 65130
this gives us in Canada a guideline on what we will be paying - list will be out in about a week or so - all my grapes come from lodi, Amador County and El Dorado

Got the Washington Winemaker's price list a bit ago. What's everyone making? Anyone make a Pinot Noir from their grapes in recent years? I need to make another, but am not sure about the idea of one from Lodi. Zin would be another choice (and one I really like), but I have 14 gallons from 2019. My partner (Dad) suggested another "Prisoner" style blend like we did in 2015, but I've got those wines ready to blend from 2018. I might just do the same 4 wines (Zin, Cab, Syrah, Petite Sirah), but target a different style blend.

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome - especially if you've had success with WW grapes in the past.

Edit: Here's the list of what's available.

View attachment 65130

The only problem I have with getting the whites from WW is they are stored too long. I got Sauv Blanc in 18 and they were not in the greatest shape. The wine turned out only OK. I talked to Chrysalis about Albarino but they wanted $3.00/lb which is way too much but they are the only ones I know of that grow it locally. I may opt for a bucket though. Other than that I don't know what to do about the OVZ since reading @CDrew's post on Primitivo. Don't know if it makes sense to do a field blend of the two. Other than that I'm going to find out what my local options are on Friday but I have to make a Syrah which I'd rather get from Cali. The one nice thing about WW is you get all the grapes at the same time. Last year I think I crushed 6 or 7 different times.

Sauv Blanc is always the first grape picked at harvest anywhere in the US so if they are holding it until the Cab Sauv is ripe and shipping it all on the same truck its pretty effing old and been sitting in cold storage for weeks and weeks.

The only problem I have with getting the whites from WW is they are stored too long. I got Sauv Blanc in 18 and they were not in the greatest shape. The wine turned out only OK. I talked to Chrysalis about Albarino but they wanted $3.00/lb which is way too much but they are the only ones I know of that grow it locally. I may opt for a bucket though. Other than that I don't know what to do about the OVZ since reading @CDrew's post on Primitivo. Don't know if it makes sense to do a field blend of the two. Other than that I'm going to find out what my local options are on Friday but I have to make a Syrah which I'd rather get from Cali. The one nice thing about WW is you get all the grapes at the same time. Last year I think I crushed 6 or 7 different times.
If you’re willing to drive a bit farther, it looks like Ingleside Vineyards has Albarino they’re willing to sell in smaller quantities, though they don’t mention pricing. https://virginiavineyardsassociation.org/advert/2020-grapes-for-sale/

My friend has Pinot Noir from last year- it was decent, but nothing spectacular but good for drinking with meals. I doubt you can make spectacular without knowing the vineyard and grapes you are really getting. My goal for now is something I like better than bulk wine, it'll do.
Last year they did not get Albarino grapes, as order was later than grapes could hold. I don't know about juice. They also did not get Touriga juice, which is what I am trying for this year, along with Albarino and Tempranillo juice.
Everything is juice for me, with added lugs of probably Petit Sirah. I just don't have it in me to deal with much pressing, though I have gotten an offer of a press to use. A couple gallons will be jelly. Last year's Merlot and Barbera was wonderful.

I've got Touriga from last year in my 40L barrel now (2nd wine in it). Pretty sure @mainshipfred did Touriga as well. Both from grapes. Mine is pretty good so far. A little light/mellow, but I think the barrel time will concentrate things up a bit.

I've got Touriga from last year in my 40L barrel now (2nd wine in it). Pretty sure @mainshipfred did Touriga as well. Both from grapes. Mine is pretty good so far. A little light/mellow, but I think the barrel time will concentrate things up a bit.
See, that's what made be completely rearrange what I want this year. I'd really like a Touriga blend from grapes, so I have a bit more flexibility to pull off a few gallons for a port-style to age on the skins.
So I think I've settled on several whites and zinfandel, contemplating an Italian juice bucket too. More planning ahead for grapes next year.

OK, I think I've made up my mind and need to do a Super Tuscan style blend this year. We'll get some Sangio, Cab Franc, Cab Sauv and Merlot. And because they are Lodi grapes and I really like it, I'll do some Zin on its own. The Super Tuscan grapes will provide some good blending options for the leftovers, so this should all work out well.

See, that's what made be completely rearrange what I want this year. I'd really like a Touriga blend from grapes, so I have a bit more flexibility to pull off a few gallons for a port-style to age on the skins.
So I think I've settled on several whites and zinfandel, contemplating an Italian juice bucket too. More planning ahead for grapes next year.

FWIW, I just topped up the Touriga barrel and sampled both the barrel wine and the top-up wine. Both are very nice, but even after just one month in that 40L barrel, there's a big difference. It was a field blend of 5 lugs Touriga and 1 lug of Tempranillo.

I think I'll be getting most of my grapes from my commercial friend. He has 4 tractor trailer loads coming from Cali and Washington. They are a bit more expensive but I know they were picked only a few days prior and he has better control over the numbers than I do. I'll still be getting some Zin from WW though so I can catch up with everyone.

Latest posts

Back