2020 Chilean Grape Plans

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I went to the Eastern Winery Expo in March the cut off for S. African was March 6. I emailed them earlier in the week and they were still taking orders. They told me they order based on previous years demand and not by pre orders. Wondering if people not working due to COVID 19 has taken a toll on their sales.

Just got a call today from CFP Produce in Pittsburgh. The Chilean grapes will be ready May15th but they are limited to a certain number of pickups each hour and each day. I Was able to grab the first time slot.

Planning to do a 3-5 day cold soak On my Syrah this time and split the batch in half with BM4x4 a d RC-212.

Just got a call today from CFP Produce in Pittsburgh. The Chilean grapes will be ready May15th but they are limited to a certain number of pickups each hour and each day. I Was able to grab the first time slot.

Planning to do a 3-5 day cold soak On my Syrah this time and split the batch in half with BM4x4 a d RC-212.
Have you tried ordering ML yet? Or any other chems? Curious if you or anyone had any issues due to restrictions. Website says to expect delays and an emailed ETA upon ordering. I need to load up Yeast, testing reagents, ml, nutrients, enzymes etc etc. fingers crossed morewine is smooth sailing.

Last edited:
I have another packet of ML from last fall. They did say you have to pre-order any yeast or other items you want because it’s a “no transaction” pickup where everything must be pre-paid so they can get you in and out. I’m all set, just need those Syrah grapes!

Have you tried ordering ML yet? Or any other chems? Curious if you or anyone had any issues due to restrictions. Website says to expect delays and an emailed ETA upon ordering. I need to load up Yeast, testing reagents, ml, nutrients, enzymes etc etc. fingers crossed morewine is smooth sailing.

If anyone will be smooth sailing it will be Morewine. Fortunately I ordered everything I needed early. I did order some R56 yeast from Adventures in Homebrewing on April 17th and still haven't received it.

I spoke to Gino Pinto this morning and my chilean malbec grapes are in and Im picking them up tomorrow morning they also have yeast and liquid MLF bacteria if anyone is interested I already have vp 41 from morewine.

Picked up my Malbec from Gino Pinto this Saturday, what a ride, and I'm about to do a split batch with D80 and D254. These yeast packages are 8 grams each. It says to add a gram per gallon. I two 6 gallon buckets of juice, therefore 6 grams each. Would it be a problem if I use the entire 8 gram packet on each or should I really only use 6 grams? All my previous packages have been 6 grams.

Thanks. The specific gravity is 1.090, so 21.6 brix. How much sugar do you recommend?
5164CB65-78EF-43C2-958E-29852BC9CCA5.jpeg
I would definitely. About 3lbs gets you 1.100 sg. Would hover right around 14%abv rather than 12
You can dump in and stir or boil mix with water to make simple syrup for easy mixing.
Most buckets are pre balanced and seem to always fall at 1.090 Bump it up!

and btw every time I use that fermCalc the numbers are always right on the money.

View attachment 60809
I would definitely. About 3lbs gets you 1.100 sg. Would hover right around 14%abv rather than 12
You can dump in and stir or boil mix with water to make simple syrup for easy mixing.
Most buckets are pre balanced and seem to always fall at 1.090 Bump it up!

and btw every time I use that fermCalc the numbers are always right on the money.
Thanks. I already added the yeast about an hour ago. Is it too late to add sugar?

Thanks. I already added the yeast about an hour ago. Is it too late to add sugar?
Might hear mixed replies on this one. I wouldn’t hesitate to do it tho. These buckets ferment with ease. Adding sugar and mixing would disturb the yeast but tbh it takes a whole helluva lot to stop them. So if you do it right away I think your good.
going the simple syrup route would be best since would need minimal stirring to mix. And you got at least a day or 2 before sg would be dropping so you can still accurately test the new sg targeted at 1.100. Adding a shit if DAP or nutrient wouldn’t hurt either but not crucial
If concerned Another option would be to wait till visibly fermenting before adding.

Latest posts

Back