2020 Chilean Grape Plans

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Might hear mixed replies on this one. I wouldn’t hesitate to do it tho. These buckets ferment with ease. Adding sugar and mixing would disturb the yeast but tbh it takes a whole helluva lot to stop them. So if you do it right away I think your good.
going the simple syrup route would be best since would need minimal stirring to mix. And you got at least a day or 2 before sg would be dropping so you can still accurately test the new sg targeted at 1.100. Adding a shit if DAP or nutrient wouldn’t hurt either but not crucial
If concerned Another option would be to wait till visibly fermenting before adding.
Well, I just added some sugar. It'snot fermenting yet, so I think I added on time. Checked SG and came up to 1.094, so 13 abv.

Ahem, I believe that Anthony meant "Adding a SHOT OF dap or nutrient..."

Lol yes. A Shot of DAP...
Do not take a sh*t in your wine!

Thank you Paul

And btw my stuffs in as well. Picking up Friday. this earlier than expected shipment caught me by surprise.
Getting 22 lugs Malbec (pressing some for rosè)
Bucket of cab franc and cab sav
4 lugs of petite Verdot.
Might combine both buckets together from the jump. If I can fit 2 buckets and PV in the freezer then will use the active Malbec skins to kick it off a week later. Otherwise will use the rosè skins into this franc/sauv/PV/Malbec Frankenstein wine and ferment alongside the rest.

got a helper for the day too. Very stoked about that. Crush day is a lot of cleanup. Looking forward to spending it with the old man. Been 1.5yrs since my last crush!

22 lugs sounds like a lot. Roughly 400 pounds(thinking 18 x 22?) How much Rosè? You are doing it Saignee style?

Sounds fun. My rosè was an unexpected success. It's not as pink as I would like but it tastes good and ready in 6 months. There's a good lesson here. I'm going longer on the skins this year (2020), and going for more acid this year, but it works and makes an easy drinking wine quickly. You can see why new wineries put out a quick Rosè and a couple of white wines their first year-to get some cash coming in while you wait for the reds.

22 lugs sounds like a lot. Roughly 400 pounds(thinking 18 x 22?) How much Rosè? You are doing it Saignee style?

Sounds fun. My rosè was an unexpected success. It's not as pink as I would like but it tastes good and ready in 6 months. There's a good lesson here. I'm going longer on the skins this year (2020), and going for more acid this year, but it works and makes an easy drinking wine quickly. You can see why new wineries put out a quick Rosè and a couple of white wines their first year-to get some cash coming in while you wait for the reds.

Yep. Saignee style. gonna take off about 8gal or so to end with at least a full 6gal carboy. Never made one before and pretty much winging it. Rather than waiting for the color I may press right away and add back some color the next day to have more control.
I accounted for the rosè in my order so I’d still have roughly 300lbs of straight Malbec still.
~30gal of must plus the extra skins. Shooting for 20 gal and change. A demi & carboy. this volume has been my comfort zone.
And these Chileans will give me my first 2 runs of the new 50L barrel. Saving Malbec for 2nd run so I can let it ride for longer.

And yes it does sound fun! Im anxious to get some fermentations cookin!

Called Gino Pintos today, picking up 12 lugs and 4 buckets of malbec on friday. Hope everyone is doing well during these times. Feeling very fortunate to be able to continue this hobby.

Sure wish I could meet up with you but I only got S African this year and picked it up a couple weeks ago. Did have a chance to met up with AJ though so that was nice. Should it work out I gave him a bottle of last years Chilean Pinot Noir for you.

Called Gino Pintos today, picking up 12 lugs and 4 buckets of malbec on friday. Hope everyone is doing well during these times. Feeling very fortunate to be able to continue this hobby.
Yo Paul!!! What’s good brotha?!
I’ll shoot you a text today. With prevention measures in place we had to schedule the pickup with about an hour window. I’m supposed to be up there between 8:00am and 9:00am on Friday.

Also you still plan on freezing a bucket for later?
I decided to get 2 pino gris pails instead of a malbec I really have no place to freeze a pail but my kegerator and that has a keg of Lagunitas IPA in it right now. as for the grapes me and my son picked up 20 box's I think 360 lbs already crushed and in the fermenters waiting to warm up before I pitch yeast tomorrow I am really happy with the quality of the grapes I'll let you guys know how things move along.

Lol yes. A Shot of DAP...
Do not take a sh*t in your wine!

Thank you Paul

And btw my stuffs in as well. Picking up Friday. this earlier than expected shipment caught me by surprise.
Getting 22 lugs Malbec (pressing some for rosè)
Bucket of cab franc and cab sav
4 lugs of petite Verdot.
Might combine both buckets together from the jump. If I can fit 2 buckets and PV in the freezer then will use the active Malbec skins to kick it off a week later. Otherwise will use the rosè skins into this franc/sauv/PV/Malbec Frankenstein wine and ferment alongside the rest.

got a helper for the day too. Very stoked about that. Crush day is a lot of cleanup. Looking forward to spending it with the old man. Been 1.5yrs since my last crush!
ill be heading down sat. morning...does pinto carry ML cultures?

Sure wish I could meet up with you but I only got S African this year and picked it up a couple weeks ago. Did have a chance to met up with AJ though so that was nice. Should it work out I gave him a bottle of last years Chilean Pinot Noir for you.
Well thank you sir. What did you get this year? How was the fruit quality?

Yo Paul!!! What’s good brotha?!
I’ll shoot you a text today. With prevention measures in place we had to schedule the pickup with about an hour window. I’m supposed to be up there between 8:00am and 9:00am on Friday.
Yo dude, the stars aren't aligning I had to move my pick-up to saturday morning.

I think I'm going to give up on Chilean grapes and juice. For the past couple of years I've been less than impressed with the quality of the Chilean harvest. I would like to buy some South African or Australian/New Zealand grapes for the spring winemaking season but the closest source I found is about 10 hours away.

Last edited:
Just picked up the Syrah this morning!
Haven’t crushed yet but snagged a few grapes from each box and threw them in a food processor. The filtered juice revealed the following (freshly calibrated pH meter):

pH=3.59
TA=0.41
SG=21.75 brix

Will recheck everything post crush to confirm but if I get the same results I think I’m going to bump up to 24-25 brix because I like big reds.

I’m also tempted to add a bit of tartaric acid to drop pH to 3.5 and since TA is low should be ok.

Any opinions?

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back