2018 Muscadines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
16 days post pitch--->

Bucket #1
Volume: 5.0 gallons
SG: 1.095 / 1.094 / 1.095 / 1.090 / 1.060 / 1.050 / 1.035 / .990 / .990 day 3
Racked #1 to a clean carboy with k-meta added this evening. Final numbers were SG.990 and pH 3.4. Got mostly a clean rack and cane done and topped off with about 3L of a Rose'. That gave the entire 5gal bottle a nice color. Carboy was airlocked.

Bucket #2
Volume: 5.0 gallons
SG: 1.095 / 1.095 / 1.095 / 1.090 / 1.070 / 1.052 / 1.035 / .990 / .990 day 3
Racked #2 to a clean carboy with k-meta added this evening. Final numbers were SG.990 and pH 3.7. This 5gal was racked to a 3gal carboy and the excess to a 1gal jug. Both were airlocked. For grins I added 1/2 spiral of toasted medium oak. I have no clue what that will do but it sounded fun.

Bucket #3
Volume: 4-5/8 gallons
SG: 1.097 / 1.095 / 1.094 / 1.090 / 1.070 / 1.055 / 1.045 / 1.000 / .994
Number #3 is lagging a bit behind the others by a few days. Sitting at day 2 of SG.990 and no movement so I'm guessing Friday will be day three so I'm looking at Sunday for racking/airlock.

I tried a sip of all three and it really wasn't good. I thought it was 'bubbly' across the tongue but there are no bubbles present so I'm guessing that's the CO2 which will off-gas over the next three months. It didn't have much 'flavor' to it, like barely any grape. It was way too smooth across the pallet, i.e. no 'bite' other than the alcohol. I'm guessing I can add some tannins at the three month mark to correct that?

That's all I've got to update on these.... My IKEA Ligonberry is progressing as is my 2017 batch of Muscadines (but that one has a nasty smell to it....)

Here's an un asked for tip that I do when I have 3 or 4 carboys of the same and I want a consistent wine at the end. Every racking I take as close to the same amount from each and mix them together. It's not like I measure or anything, but I start racking at carboy #1 take some, then on to #2 take some and end in #3.

Nice to see you get to the finish line, your pH readings may be off from the presence of CO2. Recall the discussion we had about fermenting with vs without skins. Wine produced from juice squeezed from the grapes with no skin contact will be the lightest in color, body, flavor and tannin content. Other end of the scale, wine fermented with the grapes present during (and maybe after) fermentation produces the wine with the heaviest color, body, flavor and tannin content. Where are you on the scale? Was the wine diluted with water, also diluting the color, body, flavor and tannins? You’re seeing the picture.

CO2 sting on your tongue and young wine will tend to hide flavors, you may find that your wine will become more fruity as time passes and CO2 dissipates. If you do some backsweetening down the road, that also tends to bring the fruity flavors forward.

Here's an un asked for tip that I do when I have 3 or 4 carboys of the same and I want a consistent wine at the end. Every racking I take as close to the same amount from each and mix them together. It's not like I measure or anything, but I start racking at carboy #1 take some, then on to #2 take some and end in #3.

Thanks.... and un-asked for tips are always appreciated as it opens beginner's eyes to options.

The funny part is, I gave thought to doing just this, yet my analytical side said "but what if you have that nasty barn smell bacteria Brett develop on one of them, then you'll contaminate the others" so I didn't do it on the off-chance it happens and I ruin the whole thing.

Nice to see you get to the finish line, your pH readings may be off from the presence of CO2. Recall the discussion we had about fermenting with vs without skins. Wine produced from juice squeezed from the grapes with no skin contact will be the lightest in color, body, flavor and tannin content. Other end of the scale, wine fermented with the grapes present during (and maybe after) fermentation produces the wine with the heaviest color, body, flavor and tannin content. Where are you on the scale? Was the wine diluted with water, also diluting the color, body, flavor and tannins? You’re seeing the picture.

CO2 sting on your tongue and young wine will tend to hide flavors, you may find that your wine will become more fruity as time passes and CO2 dissipates. If you do some backsweetening down the road, that also tends to bring the fruity flavors forward.

Yes, I recall that conversation but I got it a bit mixed up with another one! So I've got two good take-aways now regarding readings to include 1) SG is SG regardless of alcohol content whereas BRIX is straight sugar content and has to be adjusted if alcohol is present, and 2) pH can give misleading readings in the presence of CO2.

My friend who was over last night while racking said "boy - this is a lot of chemistry and work". My reply? "Yeah, but isn't this just plain old fun to try and make something you can hopefully enjoy"? She just laughed.....

So all the Muscadines are now in their first real racking now and will sit there for three months. Is there anything I should be considering during this period? Or are there any things I should be purchasing (additives) to aid in clearing/clarification, taste etc?

So all the Muscadines are now in their first real racking now and will sit there for three months. Is there anything I should be considering during this period? Or are there any things I should be purchasing (additives) to aid in clearing/clarification, taste etc?

Not at the moment. Plenty of time now to address whatever comes along. This is the hard part, doing nothing......

Not at the moment. Plenty of time now to address whatever comes along. This is the hard part, doing nothing......

"....doing nothing....." lol

I've thawed the frozen strawberries, purchased the white grape juice and sugar so I'm sort of committed now to starting that Strawberry wine. And I've been reading the 'staging' of how you all do this - just make batches throughout the year and to get started, choose a wine that's ready in a month or three to carry you through the waiting. yep - sounds like a plan!

When you get old and back problems, 3 gallon carboys are much easier to work with. 15 bottles of one type of wine is enough for me. I like to experiment with different combs of fruits. Just my opinion.

Back