2015 Elderberry Wine Success :)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montanaWineGuy

Reaction score
What a difference a year makes. Last year the Elderberry Wine was harsh and made drinkable by adding sugar. This year smooth, tasty and no additional sugar necessary.

This is one of 2 batches and filled 28 bottles. I’ll bottle up the others in a couple of weeks time. I now have enough wine that I can start storing wine for years before opening it. It’s suppose to get better with age right?

Elderberries 021 (1024x768).jpg

Elderberries 023 (768x1024).jpg

ElderberryWine 003 (768x1024).jpg

Also, in a glass the color is real pretty. Dark bottles, bad lighting it doesn't look like much.

I like those labels!

Well done.
Keep us updated in a year or two on the taste.

I racked the second batch off the bentonite. Looks very clear, and has a stronger taste. I'll leave it as is, and I'll bottle it a week for long storage. Looks nearly 6 gallons for 30 bottles. :db

What pounds of berries to gallons did you use? I've got a bunch in my freezer, just need to clear some carboys before starting. Also I've never tried elderberry - is there anything you would compare it to for taste?

What pounds of berries to gallons did you use? I've got a bunch in my freezer, just need to clear some carboys before starting. Also I've never tried elderberry - is there anything you would compare it to for taste?

I don't have a scale I pick a 5 gallon buckets worth, before destemming and that's what I use for 6 gallons of wine. Taste like elderberries :slp

Have you guys ever dried them and then made wine from the dried berries? It kind of adds a richness, kind of like adding raisans to a wine. Some people think Chianti tastes somewhat like elderberry wine sometimes. WVMJ

Couldn't wait. Bottled the last batch. 29, very clear, strong elderberry flavor. Might be a bit to strong, but this is for sipping years from now, and I'll adjust taste then, if necessary.

Latest posts

Back