2015 Elderberries

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been waiting for you to post this! I am usually two to three weeks behind you, so this will give me an idea on when my elderberries will be ready. I have a lot in my backyard so hopefully besides my other spots, there maybe enough in my backyard for me and the birds!

Elderberries are not good this year. I managed to fill 2 3.5 gallon buckets with mostly quality berries. Quite a few more are out there, but rapidly shriveling up and not much juice in them to begin with.

Elderberries 023 (768x1024).jpg

I got about 5# today, but the main area I pick isn't quite ready yet. Next weekend should be great though.

Scored on 16 lbs today and lots more to ripen up its soon I can't wait :)

Lost all my elderberries to the birds they weren't even ripe yet! Never needed to net them befor but next year I'll be ready :po Had a lot of them too! I was out there everyday with soapy water to keep the beetles under control Go away for a week, come back and their gone along with the blackberries I was beside myself! Maybe the birds don't like the beetles either! Never had a bird problem but jap beetle are a different story and I'm sure you all know the story.

This year was a bust for me. Only got 20 lbs total. Birds got to them quick this year. I'll start processing my berries from last year soon. I have 130 lbs total. Figuring on 6.5-7 lbs per gallon will give me close to 20 gallons of finished wine. I can be happy with that I guess. I'll also do a 2nds run with the skins after steaming and that will probably yield another 5-7 gallons.

How do u all process them?

I cut the clusters off and combed them but I still have lots of little hair like stems :( do u soak them in water ? Or how do u get the small trash seperated ?

I cut the clusters off and combed them but I still have lots of little hair like stems :( do u soak them in water ? Or how do u get the small trash seperated ?

I take a seat in the garage and roll the berries off the stems and I get very few non berries in the large bucket. Takes hours, but is worth it.

I guess I'll take more time when iI destem the newly ripening berry's

I can't wait they r just starting to turn colors I will b able to get about as many ad I want they r so thick around my area

Go to the elderberry part of my webpage and see much easier ways to pick and sort elderberries. My favorite now is a bakers cooling rack over a bucket, scrape the berries over the rack into the bucket then use cold water to float bugs, stems and unripe berries out of the bucket - the ripe berries have a higher SG than the water so they sink, unripe berries lower SG so they float. WVMJ

Did you see the birds eating them? If not go back and look for fruit flies, there is a new one called the spotted wing drosophila that decimates elderberries, lays an egg in the just ripening fruit, plant drops the berries off of the bush, can look like birds did it since all the berries dissapear. WVMJ

Lost all my elderberries to the birds they weren't even ripe yet! Never needed to net them befor but next year I'll be ready :po Had a lot of them too! I was out there everyday with soapy water to keep the beetles under control Go away for a week, come back and their gone along with the blackberries I was beside myself! Maybe the birds don't like the beetles either! Never had a bird problem but jap beetle are a different story and I'm sure you all know the story.

Go to the elderberry part of my webpage and see much easier ways to pick and sort elderberries. My favorite now is a bakers cooling rack over a bucket, scrape the berries over the rack into the bucket then use cold water to float bugs, stems and unripe berries out of the bucket - the ripe berries have a higher SG than the water so they sink, unripe berries lower SG so they float. WVMJ

OK thanks I'm gonna have to try that next time I should b picking more Thursday

No fruit flys seen the birds in action Thanks for the heads up will keep an eye out!

Used the slurry from batch and started a batch of skeeter pee with it, really enjoy that. I picked wild ones here and they were so small and so much work I now use the cans of juice, just not enough time for processing.

Got another 20lbs yesterday so I'm up to 45-50 lbs

Proly my last pick there's still PLENTY!! more there but its so much work and my concords are ready so I'm gonna start on thoughs

Got another 20lbs yesterday so I'm up to 45-50 lbs

Proly my last pick there's still PLENTY!! more there but its so much work and my concords are ready so I'm gonna start on thoughs

You could just freeze them without cleaning them. Actually I think they are easier to clean when frozen. They just fall of the stems.

Back