Other 2014 limited wine kits - what are you planning

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you can source some wine grapes still you might be able to "make your own". Or see if you can still order a grape pack from Paklab.

Really, no grape pack?

I hate to pick on WE but they aim for the bottom of the top. At $126 for that kit locally($140 minus 10% discount or $14), it's a good deal. However since FVW gives the same 10% off every kit and eats the shipping (a $10 gift cert for each pre-order) it's basically a wash with RJS kits in my book.

The Megioli kits are on the other end of the spectrum costing about $2 a bottle more.

The Shiraz has a grape pack. No clue whatsoever as to why they wouldn't think a Cab/Merlot would benefit from one as well.....

The Shiraz has a grape pack. No clue whatsoever as to why they wouldn't think a Cab/Merlot would benefit from one as well.....

Could it be that their process includes some sort of cold maceration?

Or just some concentration. At 13.5% ABV (as advertised) the OG would be 1.100 with an FG of .996.

Not that it replaces a grape pack (for body), but strictly from a taste factor.

All red kits are made by cold maceration of sorts. They crush/destem then cold soak for some period of time to extract color and as much tannin as will come out at those cold temps, then the must is filtered, flash pasteurized and immediately vacuum packed into the juice bag. They can bump up the tannin levels but its the grape pack that bumps up the TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) that make for a better mouthfeel and a higher quality wine.

Could it be that their process includes some sort of cold maceration?

But thats just a measure of sugar that gets converted to EEOH. Red Mountain fruit supposedly has boatloads of tannin by nature so perhaps they think the wine can stand on its own without one. It still seems crazy (or cheap) to produce a LE or LR Cab/Merlot blend known for being a BIG BOLD wine without a grape pack or skins in 2013. I can see the Oregon Pinot Noir not needing one, Pinots are not big massive wines, much more delicate and refined.

Or just some concentration. At 13.5% ABV (as advertised) the OG would be 1.100 with an FG of .996.

Not that it replaces a grape pack (for body), but strictly from a taste factor.

Im excited to do the WE shiraz cab and the Oregon pinot noir. Tim on the wine video seems to have a boner for the pinot so ill try it out.

They probably would argue that it doesn't need a grape pack, but it could also be something to do with the complexities of production. Maybe making more than one kit with a grape pack (on top of producing all the other kits they make) is something they would rather not do (or feel they can't) in the time they have.

WE Oregon Pinot Noir. I love Merlot, but Pinot Noir is a strong second:dg

And unfortunately I do not believe that raisins would do the trick for the red mountain Cabernet Merlot. could be nothing more than the cost of the juice controlling whether the kit gets a grape pack or not.

And that kind of economy is just plain sad IMO. A few more bucks to get a great batch is ABSOLUTELY worth it.

Come on, check out the Mosti Mondiale Renaissance Impressions Barolo with AllGrape Pack AND raisins for $126 + shipping at FVW.

If they can do a kit like that, why not WE?

Latest posts

Back