WineXpert 2006 Super Tuscan

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smurfe

Reaction score
Well, I drug out a case of the Super Tuscan I made back in 2006 and opened my first bottle. I had to come here to report a super solid WOW! This is an absolutely fantastic wine. It is very balanced and fruit forward. Medium tannins that are very comfortable on the palette. I had a plate of home made manacotti with it and was blown away.

I basically am placing this post for the new winemakers to readand stress the value of patience in winemaking. This wine is as smooth and balanced as any I have ever tasted and I have tried some so called mighty fine wines. I would be proud to serve this to anyone, even the snobs that think kits are inferior. I bulk aged this wine over a year and it has been in the bottle for close to two years.

The aroma is absolutely amazing. It is a smoky, vanilla fruit forward aroma with a hint of berries. Almost a combo of cherries and blackberries.I detect a hint of fine leather in the background as well. Look at me, I sound like a wine snob. I am just so thrilled with this wine. Guess it's time to break out a bottle of the Lodi Ranch Cabernet I made at the same time. I have drank almost an entire bottle in a half hour or so watch the Doobie Brothers concert on the tube. Smurfe is feeling mighty mighty fine right now.

Wow, thats more patience then I can ever have to try the first bottle!

wade said:
Wow, thats more patience then I can ever have to try the first bottle!
Wade you need to practice Patience... LOL
OR
Another thing is to make way to much wine and HIDE a case or 2. (like me)

Oh I have plenty of wine and it does not need to be hidden, I just cant wait that long to try it but it will be there for many years as i dont drink al that much. I made an awful lot for what I drink so that i will have some great wines when they are ready.

Did I tell you that a member of my wine club took a Silver in Fresh Blueberry in Winemakers? He did use a F-Pac (a large one)and backsweeten.
I need to ck his recipe to mine.

Wade I've done the same thing except I have no problem waiting to taste. We go through a bottle or 2 a week depending on if hubby goes for his beer or not and I'm trying to lose weight so I get 1 glass if I remember to work in the daily calories. I figure we'll have plenty for the boys college graduation parties, keep in mind most of my family does not drink
smiley3.gif
and both boys are not to keen on a party
smiley5.gif
VPC

tepe said:
Did I tell you that a member of my wine club took a Silver in Fresh Blueberry in Winemakers? He did use a F-Pac (a large one)and backsweeten.</font>
I need to ck his recipe to mine.</font>

And Share!
VPC

vcasey said:
tepe said:
Did I tell you that a member of my wine club took a Silver in Fresh Blueberry in Winemakers? He did use a F-Pac (a large one)and backsweeten.
I need to ck his recipe to mine.

And Share!
VPC
YEP !

Admit it Smurfe you just plain forgot that one!

Seriously though, that is a great kit. I don't have your patience, but this wine began so good, that I have been sure to ration it and still have close to a case. They only come out for special occasions and special gifts for special people. I have had few other red wines I liked as well as this one. If I could grow grapes that made that fine of wine, I would have a goldmine.

My RJS Winery series seems to get the same reviews and I have given to many of those away. I think the next time I gather up some wine money it may have to go to remaking this kit.

appleman said:

Seriously though, that is a great kit. I don't have your patience, but this wine began so good, that I have been sure to ration it and still have close to a case. They only come out for special occasions and special gifts for special people. I have had few other red wines I liked as well as this one. If I could grow grapes that made that fine of wine, I would have a goldmine.

No, I didn't forget it. It has actually been sitting in the cases on the counter of my bar area for a couple years now. I have The Cab I have sitting next to it is even a bit older. I brought it back with me from the first Winestock. The kits I bought back from Winestock 2007 are still in the carboy bulk aging.

LOL, you sound like me. Wine making is the perfect procrastinators hobby! I just bottled a lot of my 2007 vintage a couple of months ago.

smurfe said:
appleman said:

No, I didn't forget it. It has actually been sitting in the cases on the counter of my bar area for a couple years now. I have The Cab I have sitting next to it is even a bit older. I brought it back with me from the first Winestock. The kits I bought back from Winestock 2007 are still in the carboy bulk aging.

just curious smurfe, are you religious about adding a quarter tsp of k-meta every 3 months or do you add it at a longer interval?

I am not what I would say "religious" although I do try to on a regular basis. I normally draw a small sample and check the sulfite levels and add as needed. It is actually around 5-6 months when I have to add any.

Latest posts

Back