2 yr old pulled airlock out of stopper -ruined?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcasaccio

Reaction score
My 2 year old son pulled the plastic airlock out of the rubber stopper on my carboy. It was bulk aging for about 2 mos. The airlock was off for 2 days. Is it ruined? I am going to go ahead and sulfite and bottle it tomorrow, and am hoping it makes it.
Any thoughts?

Thanks guys
Jack

I would not toss it. That being said do as you say add 1/4 tsp of k-meta.
TASTE it let us know what you taste.
What was the wine?

2 days won't do much damage at all, if anything. You can continue to bulk age if you wish. I don't even think you'd need extra sulphite.

Most home winemakers, especially kit makers, do not degas adequately. This means that after 2 months, you are most likely still off gassing and your wine is fine and protected.

Now, kits make MUCH more gas and hold it over traditional grapes. Now if this was fruit based, it might be like traditional grapes and you did get a little oxygen in there, but at 2 days it's still nothing to worry about. If this was a kit, and you did not heat it to 75F to degass and do this regime over 2 or 3 days and then do the "poof test", I'm sure you'll be fine.

Relax. Wine is about waiting and procrastination. Cleaning and disinfection are what most home winemakers should worry more about.

I highly dought it did anything at all especially if it is topped up properly. 2 days is nothing!

I will give another vote for alright. The exposed surface area is very small and only exposes a tiny bit of wine. All two days would do would be to help age it a bit quicker than normal. You will be fine either bottling or aging a bit more.

I had one where the stopper worked loose. I have no idea how long it was like that but the wine was fine (to my taste.) I think you are good!
smiley1.gif

I must disagree with everyone...

I think it is ruined. It should be discarded PROPERLY.

I will PM you my address, Send it to meand I will take care of it for you!!! HAHA

Goodfella is always looking out for us. Way to take one for the team, Goodfella.
smiley1.gif

CO2 is much heavier than air, so the blanket of CO2 on top of the wine would have protected it. The hole in the stopper is too small to alow errant breezes to blow the CO2 out. You will be just fine, but I recommend you keep the bulk aging wine out of the reach of 2 year olds!

I believe I would be more worried about a 2 year old child getting near the wine than I would worry about the wine! Many dangerous places there for a child.

Latest posts

Back