1st Racking

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nhdennis

NH Dennis
Reaction score
So I started my 1st batch several days ago, and the SG has gotten to just below where the printed instructions wanted (was above in the AM, tad below after work)

I have read thru a lot of the tips and tricks that everyone has posted, watched George's video's, reread the directions several times......

(Wait for the Newbie mistake)

I racked first into a clean, sanitized wine bottle and set aside, and splash racked into my carboy with the wood chips added per the instructions. Stirred the mixture to get the oak mixed in. Placed the airlock on top filled with k-meta solution... put the tape on the carboy with date and step and SG.

(Yes, so far so good, but here it comes)

I went to put an air lock on the wine bottle...only to have it dawn on me that you need a stopper that fits an airlock & the bottle....

I grabbed the drill and went thru 4 corks trying to get large enough to hold the airlock. ( I know, this is where the snythetic cork works better, but I didnt have any)

So valuable lesson learned, tripple check what you need for the next step before starting. and to think that it will only cost 8-10 dollars for this lesson ( purchasing a commercial chard to top off when time)

nhdennis, I have been there. haha No worries. I called George frantically to send me some stoppers. In the meantime, I put a balloon around the top of the wine bottle. Works like a charm temperarily.
smiley4.gif

You can also take that bottle of extra, put a cork in it temporarily, not driven home, and REFRIGERATE it. The cold temps will keep it from creating a lot of Co2 and popping the cork. When you need it to top up, just take it out of the refrigerator and add to the carboy. Just remember that it will need a few more days to referment dry after adding the topping up bottle because it wasn't dry when refrigerated.

If this is the worst thing you ever do, you have it made with a bright future!

balloons are cheap until you get a proper stopper. That's what my parents used to use years ago.

its always the little things that get you....earlier this year i bought these fantastic bottles for our Signature Blend...only to find they did not both the bottle filler and floor corker.....each new step has its new lessons...

Latest posts

Back