WineXpert 1st Rack

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PigPen

Reaction score
Just did my 1st racking on my very 1st batch ever. i am loving this.. I used the auto siphon, i am hoping that i took enough sediment and wine. I left the sediment filter on but lost the transfer near the bottom of the primary, and did not wa
20080226_190129_1strack.jpg
nt to stirr up to much here is a pic.

Next to the carboy is a batch of MM Granbarolo. Can not wait to actually tast this.

Thanks Wade, Will let you know how the fizz-x and the vac work out. Have you made this before? I am thinking of making 6 small bottles so i can taste during the aging.

Congrats Pigpen!

Looks like you've done a nice job and thanks for sharing the picture.

Glad to see you have embarked in this rewarding hobby.

I love the aroma of the primary ferminting wine.

Rack on
smiley1.gif
Edited by: Okie1

Hey P, Is that an empty Dewars 1.5 there? What do you use that for? Mine usually get pitched into recycle shortly after they are empty....

Pigpen, I dont know if I have made what you have just racked as you only told me what was next to it in the primary.
smiley4.gif

Wade, this is a WE VR Cab Sav. racked after 6 days
start 2/20 sg 1070
2/26 sg 1000
temp has been between 70-73
The MM granbarolo next to it sound like a pot of water boiling on the stove, i crack the lid and stir daily. You can smell the action in the room.

I am looking to start a white, not a big fan.(love the red) Purchased a bottle of Kendall-Jackson Sauvignon Blanc (2006) It is ok, would like a little more body. Any Ideas. The wife and are are lookin to make something for the summer?

I only made 1 smaller red wine kit when I felt that it was thin and vowed to only buy the big kits and stop cheating myself. For about $2.00 more a bottle tops you can really make a much better red wine, the whites dont really get much better with the big kits but the reds really do. The Gran Barolo will be well worth the extra money and you may find yourself using the VR kit to top up the bigger kits but hope you like it.

I can tell the difference between the kitsI am am making just by the smell from the primary alone. The WE VR was a starter, andit Looked a lot thinner from the beginning,compared to the MM Masters barolo as you would expext.Ijust have to keep going to build up a drinkable stock.. I also have to look into proper AGING (temp/wine frig).. have not gotten to that point in the forum ( trying not to duplicate things). I will be happy at this point if it tastes the same as something ($5) i could buy in the store. Hoping for better

Some are decent but Im just not willing to pend my money to find out which ones.

I was wondering how must must you leave in the bottom of the primary so you don't stir up the sediment? I guess it's kind of tricky

With my MM Granbarollo you transfer everything from the primary. With the winexpert kit I made, The 1st rack says to leave sediment. I felt that i left too much behind on my first transfer. It is prob better to get more of the juice and some sediment than leave too much to waste.

I am new to this so dont go on olny my advice..

Pizz65, Im assuming that your either doing a MM kit or W.E. and either 1 wants you to transfer almost all without scraping the contents on the bottom. In other words get that racking can right in there, and tip yhe bucket to get every drop of goodness but dont worry about spooning out what is left.

I don't worry about it if I transfer a little lees over when I rack. I tip my carboy a little a couple of days beforeI rack to make sure everything has settled back down. I have anti-sediment tips on my racking canes. If a little transfers over I just leave it behind on the next racking. I don't know if this is right or wrong but it's the way I do it.

Back