WineXpert 1st kit questions from a Newbie

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smurfe

Reaction score
Well, I have my first kit going, A WE Vintners Reserve Pinot Grigio. I am a little confused by the directions so thought I'd throw it out here for clarification.

I started it tonight and followed the directions that came in the box. When I got to adding the yeast it says sprinkle on top of must but do not stir. When I was reviewing the directions George sent in my kit and the CD that was in the kit it says to stir the yeast in? I didn't stir it in just sprinkled it on top like the direction in the box said.

Next question is do I snap the lid on the bucket or justlay it on top. I had it snapped on with an airlock in the hole but after review of the CD included it says to loosely cover. The included instructions just say "cover". Should I snap the lid on for a tight seal or just lay it on top not snapped down? I have it laying on top right now not snapped down tight.

Next question I have seen where it says take sample readings everyday and record the SG and the temp and yet other directions say leave it alone for 5-6 days then take a sample. Suggestions here?

Next question. When I transfer it to the Carboy, do I usethe suction unit and racking cane or can I drain it through the spigot on the bucket right into the carboy?

Thanks for your input and answers to my questions

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Stir the must until you think your arm is gonna fall off, then take an SG reading, then sprinkle the yeast on top. Set the lid on top and cover the airlock hole with a cloth or napkin.After obvious fermentation has begun (foaming and fizzing), stir the yeast in gently and snap the lid on tight and airlock. After about 4 days, record a SG reading. You can take a SG reading after 3 days if you want, or every day if you want, or wait until 5 days. It won't matter. Yes, you can drain the bucket directly to a carboy using the spigot. Rack to the carboy as close to the SG the directions tell you to rack as you can. A little higher or a little lower won't matter. Some people stir the must every day vigorously. (me) Some people stir the lees in the bucket immediately before racking to glass because they say it allows more yeast and nutrients and keeps the fermentation going good. I sit theside of the bucket under the spigoton a 2x4 overnight in the place where I am going to rack it the next morning so that most of the lees remain in the bucket when I rack. It works fine for me.

There are lots of different ideas from lots of different people on how best to do the kits. I say follow the directions as close as possible and you can't go wrong. You at least have the warranty to fall back on.

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the great info. It is nice to have a group such as this to fall back on. One day I to will be the great answer person!
smiley2.gif

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

You do not need to snap the lid on. Just laying it on top will work just fine as the CO2 created by the yeast will form a cap on the top of your wine and protect it from the oxygen for the 5-7 days it will be in the bucket.

You do not need to stir the yeast in a kit wine. That is a mistake in my tutorial that I have recently fixed. If for some reason the fermentation stops, then stirring could help.

I always wait until day 5 to take the S.G. These kits are quite foolproof and to be honest, sometimes, I don't even take S.G. readings. I have made over 100 batches and not 1 failure yet. Just follow the directions, show patience and it will turn out well.

Thanks George. I was confused. The CD you sent also says stir the yeast in which really confused me. I know everyone has their little tricks they go by. I know that following the directions to the "T" is the way to go though. Thanks to all for the replies

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Today I bottled my first kit. It was VR Cabernet Sauvignon. I know it is a young wine and should improve with age but I don’t see how it is going to improve that much. Right now it is very light in color (I added 3 cups of water to top off), has little body and smells somewhat like motor oil. I’m not sure what a yeast smell is so that could be it I guess. There is no CO2 in the wine. I have checked it with a Vacu-Vin and I’m not getting any bubbles. Is this normal and will it improve? I also have a Buon Vino Automatic bottle filler and wanted to know it there is a way to adjust the fill level. It fills the bottle just to where the neck starts on a <?:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><ST1:pLACE w:st="on"><ST1:CITY w:st="on">Bordeaux</ST1:CITY></ST1:pLACE> bottle. The wine does not go into the neck at all, just flush with it. Is this the correct fill level? Commercial wines are filled up into the neck about an inch. And when you are cleaning the bottle filler is it okay to submerge it in water?Edited by: Underboss

Time will help your VR Cab...so put it in a cool, dark, vibration free place and try it again in 6 months.

Your bottle filler is adjustable buy turning the thumbscrew on the shaft and it will move either up or down. I like to fill my bottles so I end up with ~1 inch of head space in bottle between the bottom of the cork and the wine.

Shouldn't be a problem submerging bottle filler in water to help clean it...I flush hot water from fill, discharge and vent side after using and shake all the water out of it.

Underboss,

I also made VR Cab and noticed the same characteristics as you. Light in color and not alot of fullness in taste. Mine was in the carboy for 3 months and the bottles now for about 2 months. I had some last night and I do think it is improving but has a kind of tartness to it too. When I topped off I used a commercial cab so it wasn't diluted any.

I was thinking maybe it was the quality of the kit. I didn't want to go too pricey since I'm new and it was my second kit. Been making mostly whites lately and they have been really great. Going to try another red soon.

Ramona

In the VR series, there are some really good kits and some that I think are just "OK". The Cab is one that I think is just OK. In fact, I normally steer my "newbies" away from the VR Cab, so they will not be disappointed right out of the box.

Another thing to remember is that all Cabs need to age! They are one of the most complex grapes and they just need more time to settle in to bring out the flavors.

If you want a good cab, try one of the Selection Premium or International series. They are all much better than the VR and only $20-30 more.

i made the santa ynez Cab, and it was outstanding right after bottling, so i had to hide the other 25 bottles to save myself... but really good body and legs, after letting it set for 30 minutes, it was phenomenal.... highly recommend, well worth the extra $$$'s... i also topped off with EXP Syrah (commercial syrah with strong oak hints)... too scared to use water

The Crushendo kits are unique in that they taste good enough to drink after 3 months. They will improve with age, so your desire to put 25 bottles away is commendable. Please let us know how they taste after aging for a year.

i'm sorry... Woodbridge Ranch Cab... got the Syrah and Cab mixed up because I did them at the same time.... Santa Ynez Syrah and Woodbridge Ranch Cab.... i'm a bafoon

Either way, the same holds true for all of the Estate series. If you can let them age, you will be rewarded. I just bottled the NZ Sauvigon Blanc and at 3 months, my wife will not let it age. I am going to have to hide some from her!

I am trying to figure out when to start the second batch. I can't decide
whether to match my drinking level (in which case I'll have to wait 3 months)
or my enthusiam level ( in which case I'll start in a week so that my
secondary will be ready for batch 2 when I bottle #1).

Do you guys end up giving away as much as you drink?
Do you end up with too much wine? (Is that really possible)

I started with a VR Chianto, 'causes I like my wine red and dry. Any
suggestions for a follow up?

We never have too much wine. We have a cellar and when a batch is done and the corks have re-expanded we lay the bottles on the shelves and turn off the light. We could easily have 20 different wines in the rack at any given time. This way there's always something available to give and drink. Variety. Start the next one as soon as enthusiams and funds dictate. If you're not having fun, what's the point? I personally plan on sliding into my grave with a glass of wine in one hand, a chocolate bar in the other and saying, "That was great!"

always give more away than i drink... thats part of the fun, and allows me to keep making and experimenting... hard to part w/ the creshendo's though!!!

Peter,

Go ahead and start another. You want to get ahead of your drinking so you can allow them to age.Heavy reds from high quality kits are much better after a year in the bottle. I doabout 8kits a year. I'd recommend a crushendo. George has them on special this month and if you like a full bodied, dry red wine--they're the ones to go for. I have the santa ynez valley syrah aging. I've made about 25 kits (red and whites)and this promises to be the best red so far. I plan to let atleast half of it age 2 years but start sampling after one year. I'm going to order the new montagnac crushendo this month. I've heard alot of good reviews about the corvina too so you can't go wrong. If you prefer Italian style wines, the corvina might be the one for you.

There's no such thing as too much wine. I give away quite a bit but not more than I drink. Wine with a special label made just for the receiver makes a nice gift too.I ask everyone I know to save their empty bottles for me. Edited by: Jackie

My primary holds 7 gallons. Will that be enough for a crushendo?

I've seen a couple of posts that suggest the fermet gets quite active and I
may be pushed for room. How much space do I allow, or can I fudge on the
6 gallons in the primary and make it up later on in the process?

That

If you're not having fun, what's the point? I personally plan on sliding into
my grave with a glass of wine in one hand, a chocolate bar in the other and
saying, "That was great!"

is just a wonderful view on life.

Latest posts

Back