1999 for 7.99?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaluba

Reaction score
There was a bottle of 1999 chardonnay at the store for eight dollars. there were only two there. This store probably has5oo types of wines from everywhere inalarge price range. Does this mean that this wine isnt good or not popular or is it just the last two bottles and they want to get rid of it? I dont remember the name but it had a sepia pic of a lady in the 19th century? Any comments? 650ml. the lady faces the right if it matters

This reminds me of a story my professor of viticulture told one day.

He was at the local Kroger when they were clearing out their "left overs"...you know...the shopping basket filled with one or two types of wine that they're trying to ditch. The price was very, very cheap....

.....so....he bought a bottle...took it out to the car (where he always keeps a wine opener in the glove compartment), dug around in the back seat till he found a dixie cup, tried the wine and proceeded to march in and roll the entire cart up to the check out. Was it that fantastic? Probably not...was it good enough to be an "every day" wine with meals...absolutely!

Never underestimate a cheap wine! Any wine is always an adventure in and of itself!
smiley4.gif

Kaluba, grab that bottle and try it out. My local liquor store has a huge sale after the first of the year every year. We try all kinds of new varietals and different brands. The prices can't be beat, and all of our homeade wine is still aging!
I agree with Bovine, never underestimate a cheap wine!

Unlike what you hear, white wines can actually age several years. But I would be concerned not with the age, but how the bottle was handled/stored during that time. I always wonder if those discounted bottles were the ones sitting on the shipping dock for a couple of days in the Texas heat of August. You might as well give it a try. How many times have you paid that much to see a movie that left a worst aftertaste than the worse tasting wine?Edited by: dfwwino

Latest posts

Back