1976 Apple Honey Wine!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmorosco

Reaction score
We were moving some old boxes out and I came across 12 bottles of My Dad's 1976 Apple/Honey wine.... Well let me tell ya I popped the cork on one of those and you could fuel a car with it..Yes I did take a sip...You could still taste the honey but it was more like a brandy..My Dad and I got a stroll down memory lane when we found those...I remember helping him make those bottles ..Did not understand it but I helped..I was only 8 at the time...Actually in June of this year we found some of his old equipment and that is what sparked my intrest! Just Kind of neat to find something like that!!
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif

Cool.....even though "it was like brandy" did it appear to be oxidized or spoiled?

Ummm, apple brandy, that will warm you up after shoveling yourdriveway of snow.

masta said:
Cool.....even though "it was like brandy" did it appear to be oxidized or spoiled?

The funny thing is it did not look spoiled it has been at a constant temp of 62 degrees for 30 yrs untouched...There was a little sediment on the bottom?? Does this mean its spoiled ? I know it is not a wine anymore and the alchol content with the vinometer was 25?? Does that sound right...?

If it was sweet then i think a vinometer can not give an accurate reading. has something to do with friction i believe.

A little sediment does not mean spoiled at all. How does it taste? If it doesn't taste spoiled, then drink it on very special occations! That is a find of finds!
smiley32.gif

boy, that is lucky. though I can't help but point out that you asked us about how a 25 year old wine would be. This is being asked of people in a forum (including myself) that have a hard time waiting three month to try a wine.... Ha ha, silly person, You think any of us would know about a wine that is that old?! I wish!!!

But on second thought, you better have it professionally analyzed* prior to consuming any more of it. I could provide this service free of charge. Let me know and I'll send you my shipping address.

(* Legal notice: "professionaly analyzed" does not constitute any type of professional opinon, training, insurance, guarentee, legal verification, confirmation, mediation, or any other word with "tion" on the end)

rshosted said:
boy, that is lucky. though I can't help but point out that you asked us about how a 25 year old wine would be. This is being asked of people in a forum (including myself) that have a hard time waiting three month to try a wine.... Ha ha, silly person, You think any of us would know about a wine that is that old?! I wish!!!

But on second thought, you better have it professionally analyzed* prior to consuming any more of it. I could provide this service free of charge. Let me know and I'll send you my shipping address.

(* Legal notice: "professionaly analyzed" does not constitute any type of professional opinon, training, insurance, guarentee, legal verification, confirmation, mediation, or any other word with "tion" on the end)

Love it.. I tell you what You could fuel a rocket ship with it ..

Ok was wondering if I could open the bottles and send them trough the filter and rebottle them while leaving the sediment behind??

I dont see why not. Maybe put it all in a carboy with a little k-meta
to keep them a little longer. Do you have the means of testing the SO2
to see if they might need some.

I know what you mean. I found some of my Mom's wine from the mid 70's a few years back. It was basically a Welches recipe and a few bottles that she made from her own Concord grapes. She made both still and sparkling wines from each. She bottled all of them in Champagne bottles with champagne stoppers and wires. They were rocket fuel as well over all. There were a few bottles that did age well and were very mellow though. I guess the moral of this story is you might have a few bottles of really nice wine there or you might not. Give each a try before you dump them if you decide that is the way to go.

Smurfe

Good advice there, Smurfe! I too was recipent of some of my parents cherry wines, only they were about 10 yrs old, not quite as old as yours. Some were good,
smiley17.gif
some weren't.
smiley11.gif

Another point to add is if you come across a bottle that you feel is marginal, try to decant it to see if it opens up when exposed to oxygen.

Smurfe

bmorosco,

I would not refilter the wine and rebottle. Just leave the one you want to try standing a few days before you open and carefully pour. Not sure how well a wine that old would survive filtering and rebottling.

Latest posts

Back