1973 Chateau Margot

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beckya

Junior
Reaction score
Hello, I found a dozen cases of 1973 Chateau Margot at my Dad's house. Someone told me it has peaked and is not as good as it use to be. Does anybody else know about this wine???

Not sure what you mean but if you are referring to 1973 Chateau Margaux, that wine peaked in 2002. It would probably make a nice vinegar if it has not completely oxydized. As Chateau Margaux is concerned, 1973 was not a very good vintage.

Last edited:
Google search. Looks like the few reviews I saw enjoyed it. I saw some that sold for 120 to 300 a bottle over the last few years. I'm curious to hear how it tastes.

This is from the Chateau Margaux website:

"Château Margaux 1973

A certain finesse comes through in this light but already tired wine. It should be drunk now. (September 2002)

Weather

After a rainy month of July, August was very hot (the hottest since 1949), then September was very rainy again. The crop was very large and so was partly diluted and was never able to finish off its ripening process correctly. (The picking began 26th September)"

I would pop a few bottles and try them, it may be hit and miss with something that old. If they taste good, enjoy. If not you should have some fine vinegar.

Latest posts

Back