15 lbs of yellowjackets!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SLOweather

Reaction score
We have a couple of in-ground yellowjacket nests down in the woods. None of the hardware store sprays would even touch them. I think they just got stronger.

So, I employed a technique my dad used back in the 80s. I set up the shop vac down there and propped up the end of the wand by the hole, and let it run all night.

120705shopvac.jpg

The next morning, I went down and checked it.

120705yellowjackets.jpg

There were 3-4" of them in the canister! I bagged and weighed them, 7 pounds!

That didn't appreciably dent the population, so I let it run continuously for 4 days, minus 3 hours while we were down there with friends.

Sunday evening we were up to about 15 lbs total of yellowjackets, and the swarm around the entrances had abated by 75% or so.

Sawe results

THAT'S HOW I GET MY FRUIT FLIES OUT OF HERE ,WHEN I HAVE THEM...COOL.....WEAPON OF CHOICE:gb

We did the exact same thing, then after a few days of spraying bug killer down in I dug the hive up. Them things are nasty, they got me like 9 times on my ankle before I realized it wasn't the dog cord burning my ankle.

University of California at Santa Cruz's mascot is a Banana Slug. Try that one made into wine!!

No thanks!!!

not exactly the most enviormently friendly method but it works... a few cups of gas down the hole after dark and cover with a rock, the fumes will kill them.

I wait until evening just before dark and then pour gasoline down the hole.

Kills them dead. Also works on hornets.

I am officially skeeved out!!!!!! I HATE bees! I have goosebumps just looking at the picture.

We didn't get 15lbs but we took a more aggressive approach......We stuffed the mosquito fogger in one of their holes and pizzed them off.........then sucked them up while having a glass. I think the glass was the reason for coming up with the idea in the first place. It worked and no one got hurt........lol

Latest posts

Back