Your best early drinking red kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyt

Reaction score
I seem to have focused on big red kits from MM, WE and RJS for the past year that need to age 12 to 24 months. I want to start a "quick red" kit that can drink sooner. A Monday night wine rather than a Saturday night wine.

What is the red kit you have made lately that was surprisingly good early?

Ahhhhh......

The search for the proverbial Unicorn!
smiley36.gif

ttortorice said:
What is the red kit you have made lately that was surprisingly good early?
Not easily available in the States, but I always suggest Vineco's Ken Ridge Classic Merlot. When I ran a Ferment on Premises is was the most popular kit. Primarily because it was very good young. Where young means bottled five weeks after being started and drinking about 2 weeks later. It does get better, but so many customers didn't give it any time at all.

Other Ken Ridge Classic reds needed more time.

Steve

I think a wine that is 18 month old is a quick one. I guess it's all relative.

Try the RJS Grand Cru international series. It has skins and the Primitivo is supposed to be awesome after 6 months.

The Mosti Rennaissance Amarone is surprisingly good early on and just continues to get better with age. You can bottle pretty early and start drinking it, but realize it will get a lot better given a bit more time.

Some fruit wines are really good early.... At least while your grape wines are getting some good age on them.

I agree with everything that Appleman says on this subject. The Mosti
Rennaissance Amarone is a very pleasant surprise as an early drinker.

Dean said:
I think a wine that is 18 month old is a quick one. I guess it's all relative.

Try the RJS Grand Cru international series. It has skins and the Primitivo is supposed to be awesome after 6 months.

Hummm . . . fast, red and Italian . . . sounds like a Ferrari. That's a Zin, right?

Yep, the Primitivo and Zinfandel are genetically the same.

Latest posts

Back