You guys make me Sick!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fish1onthefly

Reaction score
20080921_153833_21Ike_and_Acorn.JPG

No kidding! I think it is a sickness!
smiley2.gif
Thank God we made it through Ike with minimal dammage Lots of trees down and lots of clean up!..but here I am looking at this beautiful white oak....and....all the acorns...and yes I do have a recipe for acorn wine!

20080921_154816_21Ike_and_Acorn.JPG

It did not take me long to gather enough of these to make a nice 5 gallon batch. I had to use my hand grinder because we were without power for the week..Got it back yesterday! Yea!
20080921_155012_21Ike_and_Acorn.JPG

The recipe called for 1 cup per gallon and I ground up 2 gallons worth of nuts..more than enough I know! I then simmered it to make a tea and sweetened to 1.100 nadded nutrients and got a GREAT ferment for the last few days..5 days in it was at 1.03 this morning..
Has any one done Acorn before?
I now have acorn and mesquite bean going at the same time!

If you want, next year you can come on over and get enough Hickory nuts to make probably hundreds of gallons of wine. I have 2 monster trees that usually drop enough nuts to blanket my whole front yard. Most years you can fill a full size pickup truck bed right to the top 3-4 times. I dont know if there is a recipe for hickory nut wine though.

Did you shell those nuts before grinding- it doesn't look like you did. You may have some extremely tannic wine there. Generally to make acorns at all edible, they need to have the tannins leached out or they can actually be poisonous because of gallotannins. The recipe I have seen says to shell first and only use 1 cup per gallon-no more or it will be too tannic. I think you have 4 times the recommended level for a 6 gallon batch.

I wish you all the luck in the world with this one. I hope time treats it gently.

I was pretty suprised to see this one float back to the top! I have racked the wine and will let it bulkage another 2 months.. I hope to have some other "off the beaten track wine" to help keep up the comedy rolling
smiley36.gif
I have not added and extra sulfite but am thinking I should..comments?

Latest posts

Back