yet another kmeta question......

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muskie003

Reaction score
I have several reds in carboys. I try to stay pretty strict on the kmeta every three months rule. I also like to bottle right around the one year mark, both for aging and I need the carboys for the next batch. I had a few batches go really slow thru primary so my every 3 months schedule is a bit off. one year is around the 20th of may and I'm due to dose them with kmeta again around the 20th of april.

my question is....what do you guys suggest for that timing in terms of the kmeta? should I skip the april dose and just add before bottling in may? or is it safe to add 1/4 tsp in april and may that close together? or perhaps do it in april and only do 1/8 tsp in may? or just do it in april and bottle around the 11 month mark instead of waiting 12?

FYI I don't have the means to take a sulfite reading either, unfortunately.

appreciate any suggestions.........

I know you this this, but why go through all these guessing games? You seem into the hobby, grab a vinmetrica so2 meter, and no more guessing games...

What varietal are you doing? And where are these grapes from? A high pH wine needs more SO2 than a low pH wine. Also, a carboy loses less than a barrel would. I'm inclined to just wait until bottling and not add another handling/exposure step.

Cheers!

Back