Yet another beginner diving into buckets and carboys...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

E_Feythaelas

Junior
Reaction score
So... I just started fermenting a Winexpert kit and it is certainly off to a vigorous start. After I finished putting it altogether I opened a bottle of mead, started drinking it and thought, "I should make a bit of this!" So here I am. I was planning on doing this (http://vikingsmashbrewing.com/easy-1-gallon-of-mead/). I have an overabundance of Lavlin EC-1118, so I was planning on using that, and perhaps throwing a cinnamon stick in with everything.

Am I going about this the right way? Or should I start with a more complex recipe? Any thoughts, suggestions, warnings, even flat out "stop what you're doing right now"'s would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Pat

You can make it that way. If trying it that way, I would ferment in a bucket instead of the carboy, at least until the primary ferment is over. Leave plenty of headroom at the top end of the bucket and you will not wind up with a big mess when the primary ferment goes ballistic. After it calms down you can put it in the carboy and let it finish fermenting. Also makes it easy to stir the must and check your s.g. (specific gravity) as time goes on. Good luck with it, Arne.

I will! I'm excited. It seems like a fun adventure. I had another question, a lot of recipes like BOMM called for specific yeast nutrients/energizers such as DAP and Fermaid K. Can I use a generic? I have some LD Carlson nutrient and energizer. Will that work similarly?

Regards,

Pat

I have used the generic nutrients and energizers with no problems. Seems to work best if you add half the recommended amount at the start of ferment and the other half when about a third of the sugars have fermented out. Arne.

Latest posts

Back