Yes, there are Dandelions in Alaska!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truebrew

Reaction score
Back in March I promised to post some photos of dandelions growing this far north in Alaska (abt 65° lat) to prove they actually grow here. They started emerging in my yard last week.

Photo 1 is next to the greenhouse where it couldn't be mowed so it grew even more after this photo was taken.

Photo 2 is an area of the lawn after they'd been mowed once.

Ya just can't keep a good (or is that bad?) dandelion down!!

Susan

Last edited:
Truebrew, what a coincidence you posted this now. I just picked up my SIL last night at the airport who is also from North Pole and we were talking about dandelion wine.

Those things grow anywhere and are almost unstoppable! You can mow on Monday and have some by Wednesday that tall again!

The best remedy my husband and I have found for dandelions is geese. Turns out it's their favorite food. First all the yellow flowers, then all the greens. The year we had them, there wasn't a dandelion in the yard! The drawback was instead of dandelions, there were lots of geese poo piles in their place. Oh well, the grass was greener that year, too!

I've found the best remedy is either Weed-B-Gone or Turf Builder Plus II. They both work wonders. :)

Back