WineXpert Yeasty taste in VR Merlot

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milwood

Reaction score
Hello. I finally got a chance to open a bottle from my very first kit. It is a VR Merlot and it seemed to be pretty easy to make. It has been aging in the bottle for 2 and a half months and I think I followed the directions carefully. My question is this...The wine seems to have a slightly yeasty taste like it may not have been finished fermenting. I'm pretty sure it was finished and I got several stable SG readings on my hydrometer. Is this a common thing with kit wines (especially cheaper ones)? I am starting on my 4th kit and this is the only time I have actually tried the wine that I have made. It's not terrible but just seems like it's not finished. Hopefully it will be better with more aging? Any thoughts? Thanks.

Do you know what that SG reading was at the end(in range)? Is there any sediment in the bottles at all? Also try decanting for an hor or so before drinking any red wine.

The taste will fade with time. At 6 months of age, you should not taste yeast at all. You'll be surprised at the difference.

I believe the ending SG was 0.994 although this was my first kit and before I realized the necessity of keeping good records. I know it was below the 0.996 that the instructions called for. There is no sediment in the bottles. The instructions say it should be ready to bottle in four weeks but I'm thinking that I may let it bulk age a little longer in the future. Also the taste is very thin so I am going to start going with the All-Juice kits. I have heard they have much more body especially for the reds.

I made the VR Zin and got the same taste as you from it. Partly
is was my fault for not getting all the gas out before bottleing.
Mine is now 8 months old and the taste and smell are gone.
Everyone I give this to loves it. So just wait and it will get
better.

Latest posts

Back