yeast

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teraann

Junior
Reaction score
Hi - I am following a recipe from the Winemakers Recipe Book that came with my wine kit. I started the Pineapple Wine Recipe today. I failed to wait 24 hours before adding the yeast. And I didn't' stir before I added the yeast. What have I done and how do I fix it - will it turn out ok?!

Can you tell if it is fermenting? You usually wait because of the sulfites in your wine but sometimes people addit before the 24 hour and it does ferment. Check to see if it is fermenting if it is you are fine.

have you been taking any hydrometer readings?

do you know what you started out at? I'm thinking you are fine.

1.040 is too low of an reading to start a wine, you need to get it up to 1.080 to 1.090. Add sugar to this leve and then go ahead an add another pack of yeast.

So add another lb of sugar (I am making a 1 gallon wine), Stir and then add another packet of yeast and cover?

So add another lb of sugar (I am making a 1 gallon wine), Stir and then add another packet of yeast and cover?

For a one gallon batch add 2 cups take a reading and if you are anywhere betweent 1.070 t0 1.090 you are good to go.

Rule of thumb adding one cup of sugar to a gallon of wine will increase sg .018, roughly.

Oh and Welcome to Winemakingtalk!

I would leave the mesh bag in for another week.

I stirred it (because I was afraid to stir it after I added the yeast before) and then I tested it and it was at 1.09. I added another packet of yeast and covered...

Thanks for your help!!

How if your pumpkin spice wine? Sounds excellent!

Back