yeast

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob

Reaction score
If you aged a wine in the carboy for 5 months and back sweeten, why do the yeast become active, what have they been doing for the past 4 months, what keeps them a live????

Its dormant. Now if you added K-Meta AND sorbate thats another issue.
Now are you sure its not degassing or going through MLF?

Tom, just a generic question, trying wrap my head around how living yeast can be dormant, but I guess bears do it

Alot is how much you racked and temp.
You said "IT" in post 1. Did this happen to you? If so we need to see every step, time and gravity readings

Wow Tom, you are right it did happen to me, I bet you knew everything your kids did growing up......I crushed my grapes in August and back sweeten in March and it poped the corks, no sorbate added, I thought the yeast were all gone, I only had 5 gallons go bad, saved the other 12 gallons to bottle later

Wow Tom, you are right it did happen to me, I bet you knew everything your kids did growing up......I crushed my grapes in August and back sweeten in March and it poped the corks, no sorbate added, I thought the yeast were all gone, I only had 5 gallons go bad, saved the other 12 gallons to bottle later

ALL,
Understand this;
us mods have seen and done some of the things you did or thinking of doing.
We (Wade and mods) are here to MAKE YOU make better wines without mistakes (if possible) :dg:dg

You can freeze your slurry and revive the yeasts later on. The yeasts will die eventually due to starving and lack of nutrients. This is why it is important to give your wine proper time in all stages of wine making.

Kits aside whites are normally aged 6 months along with fruits. Reds should be aged a year. Back sweetening early on will have a huge risk of refermentation.

Haven't seen Tom post it recently but...

Patience
patience
patience

yes Tom, I did join FVW just to try it out

I had to spell it with two b's , Tom you are on the ball, not much gets by you

Tom, just a generic question, trying wrap my head around how living yeast can be dormant, but I guess bears do it

Outside in the vineyards yeast survive extreme hot summers, drought, freezing wintes and each year when the grapes (blackberries, elderberries, etc etc etc) are harvested there is wild yeast on them.

Think about that. Yeast as all living creatures have found means to survive even under the worst circumstances.

Luc

Plants do it every year, they go dormant through winter and then when warm weather comes they wake up and start budding or whatever. Imagine if while all that snow was on the ground your grass was growing. Youd be in some trouble when it thawed and you found 3' of grass under there!!!!!

The yeast in your sealed packets... are DRY and DORMANT.... just sleeping and waiting to be awakened!!
All it takes is a little water!!

Debbie

Latest posts

Back