Yeast starter not foaming this morning?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waynep

Junior
Reaction score
I am making my first fruit wine (1 gal peach) . . . I an following the instructions of "Enjoy Home Winemaking" by Robert & Eileen Frishman. I made the yeast start last night using 4 oz of water, 1 teaspoon sugar, 1/4 tsp nutrient, and a package of wine yeast. It bubbled a little bit and according to my after-in-law it should be foaming pretty good this morning. It's not . . There is a layer on the bottom and no bubbles.

I had another package of yeast so I started another one just now using one cup water, 1 tablespoon sugar, 1/4 tsp orange juice, 1/2 tsp nutrient. I didn't add OJ to the first one as the recipe called for citric acid and I didn't have any. After reading on here I see OJ being used so I am trying that.

Is the first started dead? not working? Should it be foaming? It foamed some in the first few hours then dies down.

Should I wait a day for the second one? Or when I see it foaming, just add it to the must?

My must has been out overnight. How long can it sit before I risk spoiling? Everything was sterilized and the primary is sealed with an airlock on it right now.

Quick Update: I can hear the second batch (started about 45 min ago) of starter "bubbling" when I put my ear to the jar. It's crackling/sizzling etc. Should I just add it to the must and go with that without letting it work for a day?

Last edited:
I waited long enough until I knew my father-in-law would be up and about. He said it probably foamed up in the night then settled. When looking at the glass it was in, there was residue up the sides so he's probably right. I have added the yeast to my must and I am off to work. We'll see what it looks like when I get home.

Do not be in too much of a rush. Yeast can take as much as 36 hours to begin working. And I have heard of instances where it has taken 4 day for the yeast to kick, Although I have never experienced that.

I never spend hours working on a yeast starter.
I always start (rehydrate) my yeast in a clear 12 oz. glass with the water(1/4 cup) temp at 103 degrees. I use a digital thermometer for the temp. Just sprinkle into warm water and dont stir. After five minutes I add a pinch of granulated sugar and spin the glass. After five more minutes I add a pinch of yeast nutrient and spin the glass. It usually has a good head of foam on it by then so I start adding my wine must a tbl. spoon at a time, every few minutes, spinning the glass with each addition. In about a half an hour the foam is topping the rim of the glass. Then I add to must, just pouring on top without stirring in. It always becomes active in 4-6 hours.

Just the way I do it and it works for me.

Beano Joe

Depending on what you are after starters can range all the way from not so important to crucial. If you have a tough ferment ahead, a starter can make the difference between a stuck ferment and a dry finish. However, I don't think anyone has ever regretted making a starter.

Latest posts

Back