Yeast starter for sketter pee?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samh200

Reaction score
Could somone please tell me how to make a yeast starter for skeeter pee...

I have 5 gallons and its been setting for 24hr and ready for the yeast... the last batch I had to dump because misunderstanding recipe. Dont wont this to happen this time...

The yeast I have on hand is... Lalvin 71-1122 an Red Star Montrachet.

If you go to skeeterpee.com and look at the FAQ he says you can mix up a gallon batch of wine w a frozen concentrate and use it as a starter.

I made my starter with 1 can of welch's cranberry 2 cans of water and enough sugar to bring it to 21 brix. After it got going good, I added the lemon base to the starter, slowly, 4 cups the first night , and I believe I added the remainder the next night when I confirmed I had good activity.

I would hesitate to use the Montrochet, it can cause bad oders especially in something as hard to start as lemon juice.

I am trying to remove an oder at present by using repeated splash rack over copper sheet and I used Montrchet yeast. It did ferment completly but I won't use that yeast again. It was something I had on hand.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back