Adding skeeter pee to old yeast

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digger

Reaction score
I want to start my first batch of skeeter pee Monday. I’m going to be racking off a Riesling kit from primary I started a couple of weeks ago. The SP recipe said to use a yeast slurry. Can I just dump the SP into that primary fermenter with the yeast slurry already on the bottom?

I want to start my first batch of skeeter pee Monday. I’m going to be racking off a Riesling kit from primary I started a couple of weeks ago. The SP recipe said to use a yeast slurry. Can I just dump the SP into that primary fermenter with the yeast slurry already on the bottom?
Yup, that’s the idea.

Thank you! I’m always so cautious and try to clean and sanitize everything before and it goes against what I’ve learned but I’ll give it a go

Thank you! I’m always so cautious and try to clean and sanitize everything before and it goes against what I’ve learned but I’ll give it a go
Sterilizing all containers and utensils that touch your wine is how you prevent stray bacteria from causing problems. If you've done your job with the Riesling, it will be a safe place for your new batch. However, it certainly wouldn't hurt to sterilize a fresh primary and pour the slurry into it, then add your SP ingredients.

Probably going to suprise you how short a time it takes for the s.p. batch to take off. If you normally air lock the primary I would not, at least for the first while. It can make a mess. Make sure you leave some headspace, also. Easier to have extra room than clean up a mess. Arne.

Latest posts

Back