yeast questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkrug

Reaction score
I am planning on making the jack Keller lemon wine recipe. I noticed he uses champagne yeast slot. Is there a particular yeast i should use for this? Does it matter if i use champagne yeast or not? Any suggestions on this is appreciated. Planning to use 30 lemons for a 3 gallon batch sine his recipes seem to be short on fruit. Any suggestions are appreciated.

I would suggest Lalvin EC-1118
Plus since lemon doesn't add much to the must sugar wise you could add half up front and half mid fermentation. Definitely rehydrate the yeast and even add a little must to allow it to get going well.

jkrug,
Just my opinion, but I'd look at how old that Keller recipe is. He seems to have "come around" in regard to the amount of fruit he uses in his recipes, particularly citrus wines.
I made a Persian Lime batch based loosely on a newer recipe from his blog (2009) and it used 8 limes/gallon and the lime flavor knocks your socks off! I also made a calamondin batch using a newer calamondin recipe which he admits is better than his old one...it is outstanding.

Latest posts

Back