Yeast expiration date

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@wineview in five years of running QA on buckets which the vinters club orders, ALL have been been between 3.2 and 4.0 for pH. You should have a bucket which can be run even if not optimum.
The last three years the TA has been trending low/ pH high side for Chilean juice and I have suggested adding acid, this could be per taste on finished wine.

I mis-read your statement, thinking the "1 Tbsp" was a mixture of things. IMO, skip the acid blend as you have no idea what the acid level is -- in all likelihood, it's fine. Post-fermentation you can adjust by taste. Keep in mind that it's far easier to add more than to take some out.

The nutrient you have on hand is a good choice, so I'd use the Fermax. I have a large-ish container on my shelf that will go into this fall's grapes.

Note that all nutrients do the same job, although they have different qualities that makes them more-or-less suited to a particular job. While there is science behind some of the opinions, I keep in mind that a lot of it is preference.
Thanks for your good advice.

You mention perhaps to add acid blend post-fermentation. Would that be to give a flabby wine some spark? Does the acid blend affect PH numbers?

I will use the fermax for the bucket with pectin enzyme. Then make my starter the day before and use Go-Ferm. I have had very good results with that product.

Here is a good video on yeast starters from Smart Wine Making. Rick Haibach always has really practical advice.

You mention perhaps to add acid blend post-fermentation. Would that be to give a flabby wine some spark? Does the acid blend affect PH numbers?
If the wine taste flabby, or just lacks a zing, add a bit of acid -- I start with a small amount, stir well, and taste. I've noticed the acid may take time to fully integrate with the wine, so adding small amounts weekly has been a good method which avoids making the wine sharp. If you think it needs just a bit more, stop. Give it a week and taste again.

I used acid blend for decades, but it was pointed out a while back that every vendor has their own formula for acid blend, so unless the vendor publishes their formula, you don't know what you're getting. Since then I use tartaric acid for grape wines. A few months back someone posted a listing of which acids are good for different fruit wines, based upon the dominant acid in the fruit -- I'll see if I can locate it.

My bag of acid blend is getting used up when I make K-meta water, adding 1 Tbsp blend to 1 US gallon water along with 2 to 3 Tbsp K-meta.

Adding any acid should lower pH and raise TA. While I use pH test strips up front for a ballpark on acid level, I go strictly by taste when finishing a wine.

If the wine taste flabby, or just lacks a zing, add a bit of acid -- I start with a small amount, stir well, and taste. I've noticed the acid may take time to fully integrate with the wine, so adding small amounts weekly has been a good method which avoids making the wine sharp. If you think it needs just a bit more, stop. Give it a week and taste again.

I used acid blend for decades, but it was pointed out a while back that every vendor has their own formula for acid blend, so unless the vendor publishes their formula, you don't know what you're getting. Since then I use tartaric acid for grape wines. A few months back someone posted a listing of which acids are good for different fruit wines, based upon the dominant acid in the fruit -- I'll see if I can locate it.

My bag of acid blend is getting used up when I make K-meta water, adding 1 Tbsp blend to 1 US gallon water along with 2 to 3 Tbsp K-meta.

Adding any acid should lower pH and raise TA. While I use pH test strips up front for a ballpark on acid level, I go strictly by taste when finishing a wine.
That's interesting. I've never tweaked like that. I am assuming when you say small amount you mean about 1/2 tsp for 5 or 6 gallons?

That's interesting. I've never tweaked like that. I am assuming when you say small amount you mean about 1/2 tsp for 5 or 6 gallons?
Sometimes as little 1/4 tsp for 5/6 US gallons. As I repeat often, it's far easier to add more ...

And yes, I learned this lesson the hard way -- I took a TA reading, decided what I wanted the TA to be, did the calculation, and made the wine too sharp to be pleasant. Then I had to reduce the acid, which gave the wine an off-taste for a few months.

Rechecking my calculation, I did it correctly. The wine simply did not agree with the math. In hindsight, it was a good lesson for me, although at that time I was not pleased.

I prefer to live vicariously through the mistakes of others! ;)

Back