WineXpert Yakima Valley Pinot Gris

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since you showed me yours I'll show you mine. This Yakima Valley Pinot Gris has been clearing for about 2 weeks. About to add some K-meta and rack to another carboy for a little aging.... The center is a Powder Hound Winter Warmer clone, and the one on the right is a WE Cab Sauv. Merlot blend.
20090203_113935_IMG_0003.JPG

Those look nice guys.

Wild Duk, what is a Powder Hount Winter Warmer? A type of beer? I notice it in a 5 gallon carboy. I need to know more about this one!

It a clone of Big Sky Brewing Company's Powder Hound Winter Ale. Has some Caramel Crystalmalt,Pale and Chocolate malt. About 7% ABV. It was brewed this summer and has been mellowing since. Will be carbing it in a few days and drinking in a week or so....

More on the hydrometer calibration conversation between Wade and Appleman...
Itmay beworth an evening of experimenting with your own hydrometer to find out how accurate it really is. And, the info you dicover is better than the listed calibration temps andchart the manufacturer send with the hydrometer.

Start with distilled waternear the coolest temp you are likely to see in your fermentation area. Read the SGrecord both temp and SG. Raise the temp a couple of degrees and repeat.Do that until youget up to 80 degrees or so. Then graphyour readings of SG versus temp. Now you have calibrated your hydrometerand you know what it is telling you. BTW I have done this with 2 hydrometers andboth were off by .002. Is this worth doing? I am on myfourth hydrometer and have only calibrated two....

Back