WineXpert YAHOO

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uavwmn

Reaction score
Ok, gentlemen, I just ordered my kit 5 minutes ago!! cheez, I am excited all ready!!!

I ordered the Basic Kit with the IslandMist White Zinfandel.

There is a wine/beer supply store here in Tucson. Should I invest in another carboy as I will want to rack again for clarity. Is glass or plastic better?

I am hoping the kit comes this weekend as I have 4 days off and want to watch the process. Hurry George!! hahaha

I have taken everyone's advice here. What a wonderful group of people.

I will have many questions once the process begins.

uavwmn

If you ordered 5 minutes ago I dought you will get it this weekend as no one delvers on Sunday.You will be wanting another carboy very soon, then another, then another, then well you get the point. You really wont need another carboy for this kit as when it is clear you can bottle an I.M. kit. You can bottle any kit as soon as it is clear but the higher end kits will really improve if you rack off sediment and bulk age them then bottle them and give them more time.

LOL, no, I meant next weekend.

"Racking" means transferring the wine into the bottles or from carboy to carboy?
I want a wine I can drink that I made, then patiently wait for a red to mature.
Thanks, Wade.
uavwmn

Wade, which would be considered a "higher end" kit? For a red.
uavwmn

Racking means transferring wine from primary to carboy or vice versa or from carboy to carboy after clearing so as that a wine could bulk age with out the sediment in there. Some people transfer from carboy to primary bucket to bottle the wine if they have the spigot on the bucket as it makes life really easy that way. Do you have a spigot on your bucket, if not I advise you get 1 cause as I said, it just makes life easier and thet are only a few bucks and will save time.

wade said:
Racking means transferring wine from primary to carboy or
vice versa or from carboy to carboy after clearing so as that a wine
could bulk age with out the sediment in there. Some people transfer
from carboy to primary bucket to bottle the wine if they have the
spigot on the bucket as it makes life really easy that way. Do you have
a spigot on your bucket, if not I advise you get 1 cause as I said, it
just makes life easier and thet are only a few bucks and will save
time.

yup....what he said
smiley2.gif

uavwmn:

A higher end kit would be considered by me, any wine that taste good to me!

But there are other factors for the masses:

A kit that contains more juice is considered a higher end kit. Personally, if I'm going to spend a lot on a good kit, I get the Cellar Craft kits with the Crushed Grape skins (10 POUNDS!!!).
www.cellarcraftwine.com/PDFs/zinfandel.pdf

They have many kits with the grape pack and I consider them the best of the best for the money. Again......... This is my personal opinion.

Jobe,have you done the kits with 10.5 L of juice and the 1.5 L of grape skins? I'm curioushow the 15L kits with no crushedgrapes (like the WE Selections and Selections International) compares with the 10.5L withthe grape skins.

Mike

I have not done any with 10.5 liters of juice. The ones that I have done have been 18 liters of juice and 10 to 12 pounds of grape skins.

Last kit I purchased like these was the CC LOVZ Kit that cost $104. Worth every penny!

Good for you, make sure to keep us updated on your progress. Another carboy would problem be a good thing if you can get it from your local wine shop. With the bucket I got from George, the spigot goes down past the bottom of the bucket, this is kinda awkward as the bucket does not sit level. I may have to dremel a couple centimeters of the spigot. Edited by: Scubaman2151

Most spigots turn completely out of the way. They revolve all the way around to swing out of the way when sitting and then spin back down while racking.

wade said:
Most spigots turn completely out of the way. They revolve all the way around to swing out of the way when sitting and then spin back down while racking.

Look how smart you are, thanks for that advice.

*scuba goes off to change his spigot....

Latest posts

Back