Wyeast 4007 ML bacteria?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter1

Junior
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Interested to hear if anyone has experience using this particular strain of ML bacteria in red wine?

I've read some about it and talked to a few winemakers who have used it in the past with their reds. Considering using it for my next batch of cab.

Pete

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Peter, although I've never used it, I've never heard anything about it, good or bad...that almost scares me more than a bad review.
I highly recommend using Bacchus or Lalvin VP41, you won't be disappointed.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Wine Making mobile app

I did once with fresh grapes in the fall.
No complains and no issues at all.

Geek, you used Wyeast in the smack pack? I thought that you used the white labs MLB in the tube?

FzczbJy.jpg

I've used the Wyeast ML blended strain liquid culture a bunch of times this year and so far it's been 100% reliable.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I may give it a shot on the next batch here. I'm a little gun shy since I've tried direct add, liquid culture in the past (white labs) without success.

VP41 and CHRIS Hansen freeze dried have worked for me in the past.

Thanks

Pete

Geek, you used Wyeast in the smack pack? I thought that you used the white labs MLB in the tube?

Pumpkinman....

Yes, due to unavailability and "urgent" need I went to a relatively local HBS and they only carry Wyeast and guaranteed it; this place is very reputable and they have GREAT customer service (Maltose in Monroe).....so being my best quick option handy (I wanted to use Bacchus) I decided to pray this time and give it a try with my fresh grapes batch I made.

The results were very good and right on the spot, no issues at all.

The batch I used the White Labs crap was the juice bucket Merlot; which I ended up 'killing' the MLB and added k-meta.

Since I am still learning around this I'd like to know about flavor profiles imparted by the MLB. I'd use Wyeast again with no doubt as it is readily available around here but at the same time I'd like a more experienced geek that has tried Wyeast and other good brands like Lalvin Bacchus to chime in and tell me about flavor profiles imparted by both.

Since you know good about Lalvin maybe you could try Wyeast at least one in a small batch and give us pros/cons?

Varis, good to know. I'm going to stick to the Lalvin strains, I'm very happy with the results.

This might be old news but I just found out today that Lalvin won't be manufacturing Bacchus anymore. They still have some in stock that expire in September but once they are gone that will be it.

This might be old news but I just found out today that Lalvin won't be manufacturing Bacchus anymore. They still have some in stock that expire in September but once they are gone that will be it.

Sorry to hear that! For my small batches it is a perfect strain..... Hope they change their mind!

Sam

Oreoman, where did you read this? I've done a few Google searches that haven't brought up any news about Bacchus being discontinued.

I spoke to Lalvin direct. Or I should say my LHBS spoke to them while I was in the store. They said due to costs and packaging they will be discontinuing it. The packages they have in stock expire in September.

Latest posts

Back