WOW!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paubin

Reaction score
I finally fortified my raisin melomel sherry last weekend and it is unbelieveable how much sediment I am getting. This was a clear, .090 wine and I can see a lot of yeast still falling. I took a taste with the 1/4th glass I had left over after racking and fortifing and damm is this stuff going to be good in a year or two. I am going to let it settle for another month or so and then bottle and hide away to finish aging. It is finishing off at 23 abv but really doesn't taste hot at all. Smooth and rich tasting. I'll have to start working on a nice label for the bottles.I'll post a few pics as soon as I can.

Pete

That sounds delicous, it's making me thirsty just thinking about it.

Paubin,

Can you post the recipe you used for the raisin melomel sherry? Shounds like a great wine to put away for a long while.

I think that I had posted the recipe somewhere before but what the heck, why not again:

2 LBS dark raisins well chopped
2.5 LBS honey
1 tsp acid blend
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1/4 tsp tannin
1 campden tablet, crushed
1/2 tsp pectin enzyme
1 packey Flor sherry yeast...(sorry but George is out of flor-sherry right now).
1 gal. water

At the same time you start the wine start your fortifying liquor:

Chop enough dark raisins and dryed dates to fill 2 mason jars(about a LB of each). Split a bottle of Everclear between the 2 mason jars and cap tightly. Shake the mason jars every couple days.

Once you primary fermenting is done and you rack to a 1 gal. jug add a little more yeast nutrient and energizer and stir in 1/4 lb of honey and enough water to top up. Continue to feed honey until the yeast is exhausted at every racking. I got mine up to 19% abv. Ferment out to dry,dry,dry.

Once your "sherry" is dry and clear it is time to fortify. I used the pearson square to determine how much I needed to add to reach 22% abv. I mixed my raisin-date alcohol with a good brandy 50-50 and filtered it well(the raisins and dates will make alot of pectin haze and enzyme wont work at that high of a abv.) Rack the fortified "sherry" to a larger jug( I used a 4 lt). Be preparded for more sediment and possibly a little pectin haze. Allow the sherry to sit for a couple weeks, filter the wine and bottle(I bottled yesterday).

As soon as I get my lables designed I will post a few pics. I am tosted up between a label with all raisins in the background or going the comical route and using the california raisin guys.

The "sherry" tastes great already and will get smoother and richer with at least a year in the bottle.

I adapted this recipe from Terry Garey's book.

Hope this is helpful to any concerned
Pete

Thanks paubin,

I may give this a try. What did it taste like before you bottled?

Well...aahhh...hmmm...for lack of a better description it tastes like aahhh... sherry. Most raisin wines have have that sherry like taste. Definetly alot of mouth feel. The same slightly oxidized taste that good sherries have due to their long hot fermentation, only this wine obtains it from the drying of the raisins. Very rich, although at this point it was a little hot tasting and slightly harsh, but I'm sure this will mellow with ageing. I have high hopes and a good feeling that this one is a real winner( if you like sherrys that is).

Pete

I've found that most raisin based wines take a year (closer to 2) to age out and become "library". By that I mean, you want a nice glass, a smoking jacket, and a big ole' stogie or a nice pipe with it.

Ok, I've had a few glasses of wine....It get's nice and mellow and very rich tasting. All the harsh tannins chain together and either fall out or enhance the flavor.

Makes a great cigar or pipe sherry!

I keep my humidor stocked with a few Macanudo's at all times for sherry nights. Nothing better than a nice glass of sherry, a fine cigar, a slow fire in the fire place on a snowy winter night after the kids are sleeping.

I've found that 3 yrs seems to be the magic number for me. If only I had some that old right now. When I moved from TX 2 years ago I gave away about 200 bottles of wine. My house looked like free doughnut day with a police convention in town...LOL

Pete

Please PM me next time you're moving!
smiley31.gif

I had one last night and will probably have another tonight also. Come to think of it I round out most nights with a nice glass of something and a good cigar

Pete

Latest posts

Back