Pepper Wine - Black Hungarian - I'm going for it!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cannot visualize making more than 5% or 10% of the wines you have made (and are likely to make). I'm not experimental in that direction, although I'd cheerfully volunteer for quality control duties if we lived near each other.
I admit this hobby really grabbed me by the...uh, I mean, it really caught my interest. I want to learn about wine making so I make wine! It's a little inconvenient that time plays such a major role. Not only is my To Do list constantly growing but I want to redo everything I've made so far. In fact, my first wine was raspberry, bit more than 3 lbs of fruit, fermentation temp was in the mid 70's, and I followed the recipe exactly. Of course I did, I was new! Today I started another raspberry and also a dessert raspberry. I doubled the fruit and plan to keep the temps in the mid 60's.

However, as I've said before, your efforts serve as an inspiration to others to ferment whutevathuheck they want. There is an astounding list of choices of things to ferment.
Not my intention but if I play a small role in helping people experiment and enjoy the hobby, cool. There are so many ingredients out there that make truly wonderful tasting wines. I don't mean any disrespect but I think if a person limits themselves to grapes it's as if they're taking pictures in black and white. B&W can be beautiful but sometimes you need a splash of color.

Something else that folks may not consciously consider is that you're having a blast! This is supposed to be fun!
I thought I would make my own wine and save some money. I never ever imagined it would be so much fun and even intellectually stimulating! Been reading a lot about yeast lately. It's one of our tools and it's a good idea to know how to use your tools. You may find a couple chapters of this interesting....

https://edisciplinas.usp.br/pluginf...urce/content/1/The_Alcohol_Textbook- 4 Ed.pdf

Not my intention but if I play a small role in helping people experiment and enjoy the hobby, cool.
I've noticed that the best inspiration/examples are folks who are simply doing their own thing.

I thought I would make my own wine and save some money. I never ever imagined it would be so much fun and even intellectually stimulating! Been reading a lot about yeast lately. It's one of our tools and it's a good idea to know how to use your tools. You may find a couple chapters of this interesting....
Winemaking is as simple or complicated as anyone wants to make it.

I snagged a copy of the book, and it's next on my list.

The book @Rice_Guy mentioned in a recent thread (Inventing Wine: A New History of One of the World's Most Ancient Pleasures) is my current read. The first chapter starts with 8,000 BCE and talks about what archeologists have discovered, and what wine was like 2,000+ years ago -- I find it fascinating. Some of what was done with wine in those days is also kind of nauseating. 🤣

The book @Rice_Guy mentioned in a recent thread (Inventing Wine: A New History of One of the World's Most Ancient Pleasures) is my current read. The first chapter starts with 8,000 BCE and talks about what archeologists have discovered, and what wine was like 2,000+ years ago -- I find it fascinating. Some of what was done with wine in those days is also kind of nauseating. 🤣
I'm old fashioned and I prefer holding a book if possible. Found a used copy of that book for $5 and free shipping, waiting for delivery.

Latest posts

Back