Would You Drink This Wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJMehr

Reaction score
This morning I bottled my Winexpert Selection International Australian
Chardonney after letting it bulk age for 3 months. I used a Buon Vino
Bottle Filler and just as I was finishing bottling the last bottle, I
discovered a small patch (about 1/2 inch) of mold inside the tube
coming from the carboy to the filler. Well, I freaked out.

I
had sanitized the tubing with Potassium Metabisulfite before I started
bottling this morning. The entire 5 ft length of the tube and the Buon
Vino Bottle Filler were filled with Potassium Metabisulfite sanitizing
strength solution for about 15 minutes. I did rinse the tubing and
filler with hot water before bottling. I just did not see the patch of
mold.

My question to minds much wiser then me. Should I drink this wine or pour the entire 28 bottles down the drain?

Robert

As long as your wine had been properly sulfited, it will probably be alright. Mold isn't much different than yeast. You don't freak out about yeast, so I don't think this should bother you that much. Mold is used for a lot of things and really helps some cheeses out a lot. As long as it wasn't bacteria I think you are alright. Keep it and try a botle in a month or so.

No way would i dump it. After its bottled a while you will know more about the effects if any. Otherwise you might dump something delicious.

I would not be concerned at all about it being safe to drink. I would taste it to see if the mold added any off flavors, but I doubt it. I would also inspect the bottles to see if there were any pieces of mold that came loose while bottling that you didn't see. If so, I would uncork thise and do something to remove the debris.
Thorough rinsing and drying of your equipment after use will preventthis from happening in the future.

Ahh.. The wine you might have thrown out may be your next GOLD medal.

Remember the 3 "P's"

P______
P______
P______

Try it in a year...

Your wine will be just fine. Never ever dump a batch of wine until the wine proves to you that it needs to be dumped and it probably never will. Between the alcohol in the wine and sanitizers, it is doubtful any bacteria cell could survive. There is no reason to be concerned about any health issues from drinking it unless you have to live in an airtight bubble. You ingest much much worse pathogens daily with out even knowing it. Mold will not harm you. Look at cheese and penicillin. Both good stuff.

smurfe said:
Mold will not harm you. Look at cheese and penicillin. Both good stuff.

Unless you are allergic to penicillin and lactose intolerant
smiley36.gif
smiley4.gif

appleman said:
smurfe said:
Mold will not harm you. Look at cheese and penicillin. Both good stuff.

Unless you are allergic to penicillin and lactose intolerant
smiley36.gif
smiley4.gif

I knew that was coming. BTW, a HUGE majority of those that are allergic to Penicillin are not allergic at all. Manywere actually allergic to the binder the pills were made out of years ago.

Thanks to all for your words of wisdom. I will not dump the wine but let it rest for 4-6 months and then see if there is any moldy taste in the wine.

The more I think about this problem, I trend to agree with being in K Meta solution for 15 minutes should have killed the mold.

This was the second time that I used the Buon Vino filler. When I used it about a month earlier, I cleaned the filler and tubing with a cleaning solution (Oxi-Clean) after I finished bottling wine. But I did not remove the tubing from the filler unit. That may have been the problem. No air could circulate through the tubing, so mold started to grow.

I have taken steps to always remove the tubing from the filler housing from now on.

Robert

RJ,
I have the Mini Jet. When I am finished I run K-meta through it. Take the short hose off where it goes into the filter and put the pick-up tube in the k-meta. Run it for a few seconds and done. disconnect all hoses and put into the k meta solution. Rinse the rest of the parts and let dry.

Yes, I would not drink it. Send it all to me and I will dispose of it for you.
smiley2.gif

Mjd

me too!!!
me too!!
me too!

enjoy it after letting it rest for awhile.

rrawhide

Latest posts

Back