WineXpert Would you buy a kit 1 year old?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a couple of limited edition whites that were over year and a half old. The Winexpert Gruner Veltliner I took a chance on knowing how old it was. The Winexpert Limited edition Pacific Quartet was almost two years old when I bought it not realizing it. Both of them were really nice sale prices. The juice looked and smelled good. I made them and they are two of the best whites I have made. I did swap out the yeast, K-meta and sorbate for newer.
Vendors seem to keep having sales and I keep buying so I have a lot of reds that are almost year old before I make them.
I would not have a problem buying a kit up to about a year and half old. I don't think I would buy a two year old kit intentionally. :slp

As everyone else has said, go ahead and get it if you still can. I would take the opportunity to consider an alternative to the standard EC-1118 yeast packet. I would go with RC-212 if it were me - you may need to add some nutrient to it though.

If you dont I will. Hahaha. Make sure it was stored in air conditioned enviroment. Hot warehouse is a nono.

I recently sent a question to WE regarding this topic. I am currently making a port kit that was given to me and was dated 2006. The juice was slightly oxidized but I think it will work for a port. I fermented it with about 8 lbs. of fresh cherries, and the result is. so far, very nice - nice port flavor with just a hint of cherry. It is currently clearing and I'm debating on whether or not to try to use the F pack (haven't opened it yet) or just to clear, fortify and bottle.

Anyway back to the OP's question - here is the response I got back from WE on my question:

Wine kits are a food item and have a shelf life. We prefer you produce them prior to 2 years in the box. Winexpert doesn't publish an expiration date-- our guideline is 18-24 months from the packing day, depending on the storage conditions that the kit has been kept under. Because of their higher brix and acid content, smaller-volume kits (10 litres and under) tend to have a longer shelf-life, while larger-volume (15 litres and over) have a bit shorter span. It's important to note that the kits don't suddenly stop being viable. They may have oxidised a bit if storage conditions were not optimal, which could result in some loss of fruit character or aromatics, but they still turn out pretty good--without a side-by-side comparison most people simply don't notice.

Keith. Thanks for posting the WE response. That should be in the articles section or be made sticky.

I had sent an email to them and finally got this response:

"Selection kits are fine for 18 months. It's actually the freshness of the juice that is at stake, not the dry-pack ingredients. They are good for at least 5 years.

Cheers,
Linda Kazakoff
Customer Service
Winexpert
1622 Kebet Way
Port Coquitlam, B.C. V3C 5W9
Canada
604-941-5588 Ext 241
888-424-4888
"

....are they saying the yeast, sorbate, kmeta are good for over 5 years? Hmmm, I wouldn't count on yeast that old.

A couple years ago friends and I bought 9 kits of 3 year old WE Limited Editions off a guy that was clearing out due to health reasons. In the ones I made, i changed only the yeast. The other guys used everything that came with the kit. All our kits turned out fine and there was no difference between theirs and mine

cheers

I had sent an email to them and finally got this response:

"Selection kits are fine for 18 months. It's actually the freshness of the juice that is at stake, not the dry-pack ingredients. They are good for at least 5 years.

Cheers,
Linda Kazakoff
Customer Service
Winexpert
1622 Kebet Way
Port Coquitlam, B.C. V3C 5W9
Canada
604-941-5588 Ext 241
888-424-4888
"

....are they saying the yeast, sorbate, kmeta are good for over 5 years? Hmmm, I wouldn't count on yeast that old.

She was probably referring the dry chemicals and fining agents, which should generally remain good for quite sometime if they are properly sealed and dry. The yeast won't survive for 5 years at room temperature, but it won't go bad in a short time, either. The juice/concentrate has the potential to go bad long before most everything else.

Latest posts

Back