WineXpert Would you buy a kit 1 year old?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geek

Still lost.....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went to a HBS place that I've never been to, very nice people, nice store and lots of wine "toys".

I saw an Italian Amarone Selection International on sale for $99.
That kit is 18L with grape skins pack. It is I think a high end kit and runs for a MUCH higher price.

Checked the barcode on the box and based on julian calendar it was made on August 1, 2012, posting pic soon.

I was tempted to just get it at such a low price, but wanted to double check because of the manufactured date.

Buy it and some extra yeast. It'll turn out great. I have a grenache aging that when started the kit was about a year old as well. Tastes great so far.

I wouldn't hesitate, but I'm a bargain hunter. I figure I can always adjust what's not right.

I've bought a few kits over the 1 year mark and they've all turned out fine. Buy it. If you can nab 2

I definitely would buy it. In fact, if you don't buy it please tell me the name of the place as I would like to buy it. Did they have any others on sale?

-Josh

Unless there's physical damage to the sealed back of juice/concentrate and the grape pack, I think it would okay except for the yeast packet. That might be past it's 'best by' date. It's a good price considering you don't have to worry about any shipping.

I would replace the sorbate and KMeta that comes with the kit. if these products are over a year old their usage is questionable. Make sure the yeast is hydrated correctly to insure it is viable. otherwise go for it.

I wouldn't hesitate. I was at my local retailer yesterday. They had a leftover WE LE Italian Nebbiolo w/grapeskins (the one with the low start SG). I bought it at a good price, and likely won't get to it until Feb. or March next year. Often the yeast has a 2 year expiry date.

I markdown all my close to/expired kits, if they don't sell after a while I take them home and make them. Check the date on the yeast, everything else should be fine.

the yeast had been in the box with the other chems, so it is over a year too.
I saw a couple other varietal, I think Tempranillo and 2 others but don't remember exactly.

$99 is certainly a great price knowing that I wouldn't pay shipping...:D

This is info I got from RJS when called about shelf life...

RJ Spagnol's Epirations...

Vino del Vida and Orchard Breezin’ brands a 24-month expiration from the box date.

Grand Cru products have an 18-month expiration.

ALL the rest of the wine kits have a 12 month shelf life starting from the box date.

If the dates are beyond this, even a bit, I will ask for a discount or pass and get something fresher.

Doug - any chance those markdowns get posted to your website?

Just went through and posted them, look for the markdowns!:h
Gee you guys are making me work, also found a bunch of kits I have not gotten up on the site yet.. will be working on that today.:w

I called Winexpert in Canada and spoke to a woman who needed to put me on hold to find out and she said "We're told that the shelf life is 1 year and it is up to you to make the purchase...." :)

Go figure.......

Yeah, I believe you're right. Probably could safely double what the vendors are telling us.

It does seem to make sense though that the smaller kits being more concentrated would have a longer shelf life. Believe I read an article someplace about concentrate being or having a preservative of some sort.

Back