wondering

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JVVT

Junior
Reaction score
FIRST TIME MAKING HARD CIDAR, WAS TOLD YOU WOULD SEE BUBBLES IN

AIRLOCK WITHIN 1 TO 2 DAYS, WELL ITS BEEN ABOUT 60 HOURS. NO BUBBLES YET!
smiley7.gif

Wecome to the forum JV.

What are you using for a primary fermentation vessel? Is it a bucket with lid or a glass jug with airlock? If it is the plastic bucket with an airlock through a rubber grommet, the grommet may not be sealing. When that happens- no bubbles form. Take a look in the fermenter- do you see any tiny bubbles rising or any foam? Both indicate fermentation. Also what yeast did you use. It would be even better if you could provide a recipe you used. Also should have your starting specific gravity(SG) and how many sulfites you added either in the form of Campden tablets or K-Meta.

WELL I USED STORE BOUGHT APPLE JUICE WITH NO PERSERVES,SIMMERD
5GAL.PUT IN BUCKET PUT YEAST IN, TWO PACKS RED STAR. SEALED LID .

Some yeast nutrients would help somewhat but probably the o-ring grommet is probably just not sealing enough. This is fairly common. Check in the bucket for the bubbles and foam I mentioned. Also the temperature should be about 68-70 degrees to get it going. That is especially important in the winter. You could place it in a warmer room or near the furnace if you have one. They also make brew-belts that go aroung the bucket to raise the temps.

Everything above and also a reminder to check;
"your starting specific gravity(SG) and how many sulfites you added either in the form of Campden tablets or K-Meta."
No sugar, no food for the yeast.
Too much additive chems and you can kill off the yeast as well.
Send your notes and Appleman can help you better.
Mike

What was the temp when you added the yeast? You did let it cool down first didn't you?

Listen for a fizzing sound sort of like a soda pop as that is a good indication of fermentation. I agree with appleman as those rubber grommets where the airlock meets the lid are typically the culprit. I re drilled all my lids out and use rubber bungs on all now. Welcome to the forum. Make sure there was no sorbate metabisulfite or benzoate in the ingredients as any one of those could cause problems.

I did add the yeast when it was not fully room temperature, I did peek in
bucket some foam and fizz
smiley32.gif
. opening bucket cannot hurt,I hope.

While it is the primary- it doesn't hurt a bit. You can even keep the lid on loosely at this point. It is best if you do that you place a cloth over it to keep any little critters out. Sometimes it even helps(but probably not in this case) to give it a gentle stir each day while in the primary. At this point since you have fizzing, it is working and generating C02 providing a protective cap on top of the must-keeping it safe from oxygen. When you transfer to the secondary carboy, put on an airlock and keep it there while it goes through that stage.

Back