With each Racking to I add K-meta?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homesteader26

Reaction score
I am racking for the 2nd time some Concord Grape and Rose Hips wines today. They were first racked in late October and I added the appropriate amount per gallon of K-meta. Now I am racking again and getting rid of the sediment at the bottom of the carboys - do I add K-meta again? I think I read (and feel free to correct me if I am wrong) that I should rack every couple of months until clear and then let bulk age. I am late in racking these for the 2nd time and they have cleared nicely with the exception of the sediment on the bottom.

Thank you in advance for your answer

Yes. SO2 will dissipate in about a month in a carboy. if not accessing the wine at all a dose at racking is sufficient assuming racking every three months. if you access the carboy more often add K-meta more often. suggested dose is 1/4 tsp per five gallons.

If bulk aging and not accessing it can it be left for longer than 3 or 4 months? I was told that this needs to bulk age for 1-2 years (rose hip 2). I would love to just put it in a closet and forget about it - or is that me just being lazy??

I wouldn't leave it that long without adding K-meta. Also keep an eye on the airlock, or use a solid bung to keep air out.

Back